1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E10 bad for engines?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by awptickes, Feb 12, 2008.

1. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Has anyone noticed anything wierd recently with their car in regards to the manditory 10% ethanol content in gasoline? The mandate was across the USA, and most of Europe as well.

My fuel economy went from about 6.7l/100km (35 mpg) to 8.5l/km (27 mpg) after the switch. That's a lot of fuel being wasted. Here in Germany, they introduced the manditory E10 blend at the begining of the year, and I've seen a ton of horrible effects. I've even had to put the factory intake back on to try to reclaim some of the FE I'm now missing. My biggest problem is that the engine my car has isn't designed to run on the E10 blend, and I know it's messing with the power-curve.

Anyone else having any major problems?

2. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

cant you stop using it? i mean arent there any gas stations that still sell regular gas?

i thought you couldnt put Ethanol blend on a regular car. I thought the compression had to be lower to be able to benifit from the E-10. Drop in MPG is definitly gonna hurt the economy more. If in fast its true.

doesnt make sense. Use MORE gas which means waastemore money which also means supply demand will me increased as well.

the only good thing is that it will produce less toxins in the air..............right. Go thell all the drag racers and Nascar drivers to run Ethanol.

3. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Well, I guess I could buy racegas for like 10€/l. That defeats the purpose though.

4. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

according to this:
    Gasoline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we've had it for 3 years now. i've never noticed a difference

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

x2 my cars all run fine.

6. Justin66

Justin66 The Hondaswap Canadian

Ya usually says right on the pumps. At shell regular gas has up to 10% ethanol, silver has up to 5% and premium (which i use anyway) has none. I dont know if canadian gas standards are different.

Ive never even thought about the effects of ethanol. So far its just a word to me.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted