1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E85 Conversion

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by krut042303, Jul 14, 2006.

1. krut042303

krut042303 Junior Member

I found this article on E85vehicles.com and thought it was really interesting, it's a write up on how to convert to E85:

Converting for E85

Obviously, some loss in power might take place but the beautiful thing is you can run E85 OR Gasoline. I'm at work so I didn't get much time to really look into that flex-tek or anything. Think this would be ok to mess with?

2. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

one of the guys that works at our shop has a 91 Civic Si hatch with LS-VTEC that he runs in NHRA Sport Compact Street Stock class, which requires the use of pump gas (no race gas) - he converted his to run on E85 because he couldn't buy pump gas with high enough octane for his engine - E85 is not rated for octane like gasoline, but is equivalent to 105-110 octane gasoline, as far as anti-knock characteristics go - he is running 12.5:1 compression with Skunk2 cams and Skunk2 intake, OBD1 with Neptune and it puts out 210whp on the dyno - it takes larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump order to provide enough fuel along with more ignition timing advance - it also gets about 30-40% less fuel mileage - E85 is cheaper than gasoline per gallon, but you use a lot more of it, with the result being it actually costs you more to run it - E85 also eats up rubber hoses, so you have to change anything rubber in the fuel system to alcohol compatible hoses and parts

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  3. krut042303

krut042303 Junior Member

Interesting...pointless to do I guess. Did the guy you work with say anything about emissions on ethanol? Might be worth looking into in a few months it if everything in the Middle East keeps going downhill. Now with this Israel/Lebanon crap....eesh. We'll see where gas prices go. Thanks for the info.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted