E85 Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

krut042303

I found this article on E85vehicles.com and thought it was really interesting, it's a write up on how to convert to E85:

Converting for E85

Obviously, some loss in power might take place but the beautiful thing is you can run E85 OR Gasoline. I'm at work so I didn't get much time to really look into that flex-tek or anything. Think this would be ok to mess with?

one of the guys that works at our shop has a 91 Civic Si hatch with LS-VTEC that he runs in NHRA Sport Compact Street Stock class, which requires the use of pump gas (no race gas) - he converted his to run on E85 because he couldn't buy pump gas with high enough octane for his engine - E85 is not rated for octane like gasoline, but is equivalent to 105-110 octane gasoline, as far as anti-knock characteristics go - he is running 12.5:1 compression with Skunk2 cams and Skunk2 intake, OBD1 with Neptune and it puts out 210whp on the dyno - it takes larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump order to provide enough fuel along with more ignition timing advance - it also gets about 30-40% less fuel mileage - E85 is cheaper than gasoline per gallon, but you use a lot more of it, with the result being it actually costs you more to run it - E85 also eats up rubber hoses, so you have to change anything rubber in the fuel system to alcohol compatible hoses and parts

Last edited:
Interesting...pointless to do I guess. Did the guy you work with say anything about emissions on ethanol? Might be worth looking into in a few months it if everything in the Middle East keeps going downhill. Now with this Israel/Lebanon crap....eesh. We'll see where gas prices go. Thanks for the info.

Back