E85 Who here has made the switch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LifeSucks88

I just switched over today and my b16a pull's a little header on the street tune i did today i am going to have it tune on the dyno next week to make sure it right. So who here has made the switch to E85?

It's not even (readily) available here. maybe 5 pumps in the state have it. Not going to happen for a while me thinks.

just because it is not widely available in CT does not mean that it isnt widely available anywhere
(CT has no public pumps... there are a few private state pumps for state vehicles only)

e85 conversions are more popular with turbo people because the higher octane (105 octane) allows them to run a more aggressive tune

for a NA car to really benefit from it you would need to be running a pretty damn high compression

i know B16 on here has tuned his Evo to run e85 and is setting up his ITR'd Sol track car to run e85 as well

It's not widely available around here either(maps show ~6 stations in a 200mi radius). Where I live I have to go to the next city to for E85(the ones here in Raleigh are for NC Fleet vehicles); this is the reason I plan on running Megasquirt with Flex Fuel capability. :)

e85 is big in the south florida tuning scene. it is readily available in dade and broward counties, and at the dragstrip there are more import guys running e85 than race gas by far.

i know B16 on here has tuned his Evo to run e85 and is setting up his ITR'd Sol track car to run e85 as well
My evo picked up 70whp by the switch and upping boost and timing.

Not sure what my ITR will do on it, i'm going to run CTR pistons in the ITR block. Compression isn't crazy high, but high enough to want to run higher than 91 octane.

I'm going to only use upgraded injectors on my Honda; 440cc. They should be big enough. On the evo I had to jump from the OE 550's to 1000cc's with some breathing room on the 1k's.

All the evo guys around here love E85. It tunes a lot more like C16; just not as consistent at 700+whp levels as C16 because variances in the alcohol content at that power range can mean destruction. :)

its certainly something i would consider if i knew i could tank up ANYWHERE i wanted to drive too. Right now, that really isn't possible on the east coast.

There are two E85 station by me but they are about 40miles round trip from me one is to the North of me and the other one is South but for 2.63 a gallon it's worth it.

We dun have any e85 pumps in nola yet. At least not that ive seen. If I do see one, ima fill up my daily (saturn) with it and see what happens! Lol

it will likely run like shit and have no power due to not having enough compression to burn the alcohol correctly
it will likely run like shit from being about 30% too lean to properly run alcohol
you will likely end up with a check engine light for lean cylinder misfires on all 4 cylinders
you will end up having to drop your tank and get rid of the e85
then you will have to flush your fuel system with regular gas
and clear your check engine codes

you cant just run any car on e85 just because you think it sounds like a good idea.... especially not a naturally aspirated car
there are things that need to be done before hand... like upping your compression and getting your fuel and tuning sorted out

im aware of all that. i was being sarcastic.

they are adding an e85 pump near my house within the next few months. i am strongly considering running the fit on it when i Kswap.

e85 conversions are more popular with turbo people because the higher octane (105 octane) allows them to run a more aggressive tune

for a NA car to really benefit from it you would need to be running a pretty damn high compression

I am running 10:6:1 compression on my b16 pump gas is not doing it for me that's why i went to E85 i get more octane for a better price + E85 don't stink like gas does it smells like wine to me:).

can u run e85 on a 98 spec type R???

Yes but it needs to be tuned immediately when you switch to E85 if you dont tune it your motor will run lean and you kill your motor.With E85 you will need to add 35% more fuel to the low cam tables (min) and 42% (min) to the high cam tables that should get you to your tuner with out killing your motor for you can get it tuned.

Last edited:
Yes but it needs to be tuned immediately when you switch to E85 if you dont tune it your motor will run lean and you kill your motor.With E85 you will need to add 35% more fuel to the low cam tables (min) and 42% (min) to the high cam tables that should get you to your tuner with out killing your motor for you can get it tuned.[/QUOTE]

will i get better mileage, or just more power???

That's a no as far as gas mileage is concerned. Even if you manage to get a really good deal that offsets the "mileage per dollar" of fuel, you still lose range(if you travel in an area with not much E85 pumps, that makes it even worse).

Back