E85 Who here has made the switch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

only if your vehicle is Flex Fuel or equipped with a Flex-Fuel compatible ECU+sensor(Megasquirt supports this, and I believe Solaris is getting this feature).

If your car is "hard-tuned"(specifically tuned for E85) then putting in regular unleaded will most likely cause severe rich-mixture issues and may also lead to detonation due to the timing advanced for higher octane.

I am running 10:6:1 compression on my b16 pump gas is not doing it for me that's why i went to E85 i get more octane for a better price + E85 don't stink like gas does it smells like wine to me:).

10.6:1 is not high compression

you can run a B16 on 91 octane with no problems at all
using a higher octane than what is required for the engine is a waste
if you cant compress it enough, it wont burn as strong or completely
this means you have a weaker combustion, and you make LESS power

you should run your car on the lowest octane you can run without detonating
that will give you your best burn and the most power

running a grade higher as insurance if you are going to be running the engine HOT for a long time to protect against detonation is fine... but otherwise it is a complete waste

so e85 on an engine not built for it with HIGH compression or boost is going to make LESS power, and get worse mileage.... all around waste of money

if you want to run e85 and actually make power with it on an NA engine... then get your compression up around 13.5-14:1.... run a lumpy ass cam and a big injector... get it tuned by someone who knows what the fuck they are doing... and go have fun

with proper tuning you can run into the mid 12._:1 range on pump gas

high octane alone DOES NOT MAKE MORE POWER

will i get better mileage, or just more power???.

For the mileage it depends on how you drive if your a lead foot everywhere you go your going to have shitty mileage now if you are a good driver and keep the peddle off the floor you will get good mileage. I have gone through my second tank of E85 and i got 262miles out of it that's a 12,1/2 gallon fill up and that was in town driving. For the more power that depends on the guy who tunes your car. I seen a gsr do a 170hp on the dyno on pump gas then do a 210hp with E85 i also seen a is-turbo do 260hp on pump gas then lose hp on E85 so it a hit and miss with E85.By the way i got about the same mileage on pump gas as i am getting on E85.

Back