Easy one? Trans input shaft question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hal9000

I'm currently trying to finish up the trans swap from hell (I'll spare you all the gory details). But have run up against this one last issue:

This is in my '88 CRX DX which I converted from auto to manual. The conversion went well enough, but the first trans I got had a bad front bearing bad input shaft seal, and a broken shift fork... That was supposed to be an '89 DX trans.

I just bought what is supposed to be an '89 SI trans, but the splines on the input shaft are larger diameter than the DX. The parts houses list both DX and SI clutches as the same part.....

So can anybody tell me what year honda switched to the larger splined input shaft so I can get the right clutch? Also, do I just need the friction disc, or do I need a new pressure plate as well?

Any help or advice appreciated.... Please?

Thanks

88 is the one odd-ball year, but from 89-91 the clutches and flywheels are interchangeable. 88 year trans use a 200mm 21 spline disc, 89-91 trannys use 210mm 20 spline clutch discs. i'm not sure what flywheel you are using but i don't believe the 89-91 clutchs will work with 88 flywheels.

Thanks for the info.... Based on that, the old/dead trans was an '89+ and this new one must be an '88. My old clutch was a 210MM unit and it fit the flywheel fine. If I have to get a 200MM clutch I suppose I could just use the friction disc and run it with the 210 MM PP and FW with no major issues.....

Back