ebay of the day

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HOLY SHIT ! ! That's Enigma !!!

That's a national treasure.

thats fuckin insane...if i had money to blow thatd be on my coffee table. definitely a conversation starter.

i want to be the only person in this thread that doesnt care :p

OMG. I want that so badly.

At first I was like wtf is this? then I realized it was the enigma.

'Enigma' was the famed encryption key and creator for the Germans during a good deal of WWII. It allowed Germans to send coded radio messages between ships and submarines in the North Atlantic and in the shipping lanes without the threat of the messages being decoded. At the time, it was unbreakable. This led to a good deal of carnage in the US/British shipping lanes.

The movie U571 is roughly based on the events that led to the capture of a working Enigma machine. This was the only way the code was broken.

If you had an Enigma, and were German Army - you were told and firmly believed that you are worth less than that machine.

You're entire regiment was worth less than that one machine.

Enigmas were found on submarines. The Submarine and all of it's crew were worth less than the Enigma that was held on board.

It was a court martialable offense to damage the Enigma in any way.

Soldiers were assigned with cleaning and caring for it. Chances are, this machine actually saw time in the field. Because they were so important that they were maintained better than columns of tanks. To be the operator and care taker of this box meant that you were important, and were surrounded by other soldiers commissioned solely for the purpose of taking a bullet to protect you, or more to the point, that box.

This won't sell for less than $600,000. That's my bet.

Back