1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ebay turbo kits-- your opinions

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by sevenhillsbilly, Mar 24, 2008.

1. sevenhillsbilly

sevenhillsbilly New Member

what do you guys think of ebay turbo kits??

2. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

:ph34r:

3. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

hasn't this been covered about 3145134514351345 times?

4. sevenhillsbilly

whats with the ninja dude?

5. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

6. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

ninja dude means, he came out of the night to show himself, and that means a lot for a ninja, but thought it was not necessary to speak for his very presence should convay a sense of fear great enough to make you go search some more cuz it's too obvious.

ebay kits suck dick; and not for coke!

7. sevenhillsbilly

alright then i will just peice one together

8. amadeuscr

amadeuscr Member

I would say , get a piping and intercooler kit on eBay , turbo by itself it's just fine but is better if you get a non-cheap one, and don't get a cheap manifold !, I haven't had bad experience from a cheap turbo, so I can't say nothing bad about them , I used one my self for more than a year, and never gave me a problem, actually nothing on the eBay kit gave me problems, just the manifold that got cracked but I fix it and I did a support for the manifold and turbo, and was not a problem anymore, if you have a nice budget get quality parts, and if you don't I can give you some good tips and a ebay kit will work great

9. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

yes an 'ebay kit' sucks. but a greddy kit purchased off ebay is completly fine. i assume you meant the inexpensive ebay junk kit.

10. 93civicracer

93civicracer Oh, I do a little here and there.

I bought an ebay header and it's been fine so far, no problems other than it looks like shit and the shiny finish is about faded :( but does it's job.

But I'd NEVER get any turbo from ebay. Just the piping.

11. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I was on Google the other day doing research on this same topic.

I came across a HondaTech thread:
    Honda-Tech.com: Forced Induction: SSAC turbos........

Theres alot of vouching in there for these things.. and I just might give one a try. All my shit got stolen, so hell, might as well.

12. sevenhillsbilly

matt let me know if the turbo is in good shape because a tight budget is what im workin with right now so if it seems too be decent quality

13. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Like has been said before.

Buy the stuff that has low probability of breaking on eBay. If you think you're getting a good eBay special, you are paying 1/4 because it's going to last just that long. Buy a known brand of turbo, then forget about it.

14. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I wouldn't buy the cheap no name turbo or manifold . Everything else is fine. I did my turbo build for like 1000 bucks. I did buy the turbo off ebay but it was a Garrett, it was cheap, it didn't have much shaft play but I rebuilt it anyway and upgraded the intake side. I'm pretty sure I bought the manifold on HT and got a good deal on it also.

I bought a JRC IC and I'd recommend that cheap bad boy to anyone.

Piping I got from kteller, it looks like their prices went up since my build years ago.

The BOV I got from ebay.

Oil lines I made from Home depot plumbing supplies.

It's easy to find reasonable prices on parts, you just have to look around and research a little. You'll be much better off spending a little extra (i'm only talking like a couple hundred more, if that) on slightly better quality parts.

15. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

I'll keep ya posted in my thread I'm sure.

The main reason why so many ebay turbo's blow seals so quickly is because people don't use an oil restrictor with them. They are only designed to get ~15 psi of oil flow, whereas a Honda engine can generally produce ~60 psi (or so I've read) in the higher RPM's.

The excess pressure has to have somewhere to go, so the seals are the first thing to go. BAM, oil burning, turbo is considered shot.

I'm not saying these turbo's are the greatest out there by any means, but they are an option for someone who knows what they are doing and is looking to do something on a budget.

16. Turbo&Auto

Turbo&Auto Nick Go FAST!!

I bought a cheap ebay turbo manifold for the Accord. The turbo flange was resting against the block, no way to connect the turbo.

I also bought a XS Power evo3 16g and ran it for quite awhile without too many issues. I needed to port the wg to get boost under 18psi and the actuator arm came off of the post going into the turbo (wouldnt open flapper). Other then those couple issues, it worked out ok. Would I buy another, prolly not. I feel I got lucky the first time.

The parts are OK at best but their support is the worst ever. They reply to emails with links to faqs and just general automated responses. Very irritating when you have a problem with something. No phone number to call and talk to a person, just emails....This is what makes it REALLY not worth it at all, no support whatsoever!

17. daveholiday

daveholiday Do work

I'd rather shit on my engine. Get about the same performance, but my shit is cheaper than ebay's shit, and for about the same thing.

18. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

You get what you pay for. Thats all I got to say on this subject.

19. Lee7pcNOOb

Lee7pcNOOb New Member

google i was in the same boat as you, seen nothing but posts about cracked manifolds and weakly sealed turbo housings.
    im not a good haggler so i chose the greddy turbo kit.

20. goldrims

goldrims New Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted