Ecu & Cam Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

Ive got an automatic pr3 ecu w/ an auto motor (im assuming anyways)

How well will the ECU adapt to auto cams or vice versa, will i run into any problems?

Do i need a new Dizzy(manual) for the pr3 (manual) ecu? or will they connect right up?

thanks in advance.....

Dizzy is identical.
Cams are different - don't bother getting a set of manual B16A1 cams - they aren't worth the price of shipping. Score a set of ITR (for NA stuff) or GSR (for boosted fun).

As for the ECU, you can convert it from auto to manual in about 5 minutes with a pair of pliers and a soldering iron. See http://wiki.pgmfi.org and serach for "Auto to Manual" and look at the PR3 info.

Originally posted by radnulb@Nov 17 2003, 11:23 AM
Dizzy is identical.
Cams are different - don't bother getting a set of manual B16A1 cams - they aren't worth the price of shipping. Score a set of ITR (for NA stuff) or GSR (for boosted fun).

As for the ECU, you can convert it from auto to manual in about 5 minutes with a pair of pliers and a soldering iron. See http://wiki.pgmfi.org and serach for "Auto to Manual" and look at the PR3 info.

Dont the Auto and manual Ecu's have diff fuel maps? i have the auto(ecu and motor) in my manual 88 crx, so someones already done the auto to manual... im having fuel issues and i loose a couple a hundred rpms due to the rev lim, i can pick up a next to new pr3 for $75...

if you do that, I'll buy your old auto one :)
if you chip the auto PR3 it will run identically to a manual.

Originally posted by radnulb@Nov 18 2003, 11:12 AM
if you do that, I'll buy your old auto one :)
if you chip the auto PR3 it will run identically to a manual.

I'll keep that in mind...

i also had another question.... when ordering for the b16a i use the 90teg for elec. parts, well.... they ask weather or not the Dizzy is from an auto or a manual, and theres quite a bit of difference between the 2 in price.... thats why i asked weather or not the Dizzy needed to be replaced with a manual one....

Im Dizzy now....

rather odd. I've had both manual and auto 90 teg AND PR3 B16A1 distributors apart, and I didn't notice much difference. I'd say go with the manual parts, particularly if they are cheaper.

Originally posted by radnulb@Nov 18 2003, 04:02 PM
rather odd. I've had both manual and auto 90 teg AND PR3 B16A1 distributors apart, and I didn't notice much difference. I'd say go with the manual parts, particularly if they are cheaper.

Yea, the manual Dizzy is cheaper ( i need a new one anyways)...

back to my questions, will the ecu and auto cams cause any problems with each other? will it be safe to take the motor up to 8200 w/ the auto cams?

totally safe but I really doubt you will have any power up top. Manual B16A1 cams are bad, let alone auto...

Back