ECU CEL, won't rev over 3k

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jjsJDM

So, I'm looking for some details or advice here. I have an 89 CRX with a B16A, y1 trans, Crane external coil kit, and HI-6s Ignition, and a PR3 computer.

I have a check engine light, but from what I've read I should just have to turn the key on and the CEL codes will display for the PR3 because it's OBD0, right?

Second, the damn thing won't rev over 3k, I've read about the distributer wiring causing this "safety" condition from the ECU which makes me suspect the hack-wiring job my counsin's buddy did before I got the car.

A kid i was pullin parts with at the junk yard was saying that cars won't rev over 3k if they're cold, so that suggests the possibility of a ECT sensor... The guage does work, and I saw pin C6 listed as being for a coolent temp sensor, does this car have 2, one for the guage and one for the ECU? is that even a feature that the PR3 supports?

Like I said, I think the codes are supposed to just show when the key is turned to the "ON"position, but nothing happens, the LED comes on but never blinks at all. It's just constant. I looked for a 2 pin connecter like the 92-later OBD1 systems just to humor myself and found nothing.

I've invested some time reading diagrams, but some words from an experience swapper and trouble shooter might help me zone in on where to spend my time looking.

Last edited:
Your ecu is running on limp mode.

1 ☼ I suggest you open up the ecu and check for any obvious burnt parts or smell.

2 ☼ Wiring can be the cause of that cause thats specially if you have wires all over the place.

3 ☼ I would put a stock ignition coil back into the distributor and see if that makes any difference and if so then they had the external coil wired up wrong.

Good Luck...

Back