ECU/Chipping Info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude9593

Sorry for my stupidity but I was wanting to see if anyone could help explain the basics of upgrading ECU's or chipping. I've always seen ECU upgrades for sale on ebay but I just thought they were overated and cheap ripoffs. I have a '95 Prelude SE and I've advanced the timing (which made a good improvement) and have I/H/E. I would like to do some more mods and was wondering if an ECU or whatever would be a good next step. Thanks

Originally posted by lude9593@Jul 21 2004, 12:56 PM
Sorry for my stupidity but I was wanting to see if anyone could help explain the basics of upgrading ECU's or chipping. I've always seen ECU upgrades for sale on ebay but I just thought they were overated and cheap ripoffs. I have a '95 Prelude SE and I've advanced the timing (which made a good improvement) and have I/H/E. I would like to do some more mods and was wondering if an ECU or whatever would be a good next step. Thanks
[post=366333]Quoted post[/post]​

Everything depends on your budget. All the tricks cost some money. Many of those Ebay chips are just bullshit. Cams, cam gears, intake, throttle body, exhaust, head work, block work, turbo, supercharger, or whatever; It all costs money.

The ECU upgrade is easy and cheap, but the Eprom burner for the chip is not. Also, you don't want to shoot in the dark. Go to PGMFI.org, and read a little.

Decide how much power you can live with, and plan your budget. Tuning is important to utilize all of the work done to an engine, and save it from blowing itself up.

Thanks for the help...I'll check it out and educate myself. I love being an edumacated mofo!

Back