Ecu Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rodzilla

ok i got my engine (b16 sirII) from e bay. the guy who sold it to me (streetdragz) sent it to me with a PR3 Ecu. I sent him the money ($2300) expecting him to cover the shipping (won the auction for $2000) he keeps the extra $300 and sends it freight collect. Now upon other problems with the engine and him sending me the wrong stuff, i gave him negative feedback. he is quite upset about the whole deal and now is not sending me back the extra $300. Now here is where i need a ECU expert. he claims that the peticular PR3 he sent me was indeed an OBD 1 ecu. he claims he hooked it up to his 95 civic and it worked fine. i need to know if indeed that Honda made some PR3 ecu's that were OBD 1. he is claiming that since the ECU was indeed OBD1, he went out and actually "upgraded" the ecu to the p30. so in doing so, it cost him $350 upgrade fee and plus he charges a 35% restocking fee, so if anything, i owe him money. Please someone get back that knows all about these ECU's. i have already looked up the the pr3 on the reference and it shows that it was indeed a OBD 0 ECU. i need to know before i sue the shit out of his ass.

pr3 is definately an obd 0 ecu. will NOT work with OBD 1 electronics.

he is an asshole. you should sue him. he knows nothing.

so there is no way no how that Honda made a limited number of ecu's or a a rare PR3 Obd1 ECU? I do plan on sueing, but i need to do a little more research so it canhold up to a judge.

take a picture of the place where you plug the harness into. i'll tell you for sure

obd1 and obd0 line up differently.

what are the block #'s on your engine??

on the head, does it say pr3??

pgm-fi on the top of the intake manifold...

is there a MAP sensor on the throttle body??

i know the engine is a second gen B16. It does not have the pgm-fi on the top of the intake manifold, nor map sensor on throttle body. i was just asking because he is claiming that Honda made some Pr3 ecu's that were OBD1. he sent me the p30 and it hooked up fine works good.

The PR3 that came in 88-91 JDM B16A was an OBD0...

The PR3 that came in 92-93 Integra RSi/XSi or JDM B16A SIR2 is OBD1...

So, you could have the ECU you need...look at the pictures here - Hondata and compare the connectors to find out what you have.

Kirk

pills, it does not have a mounting place for the Map sensor, it has the vaccum line for the hose to hook up. Now Gt, he sent me the PR3-j51. i was back in december so i cannot remember what the connections looked like.

Just to be clear on this, you tried to plug in this PR3 ECU and it would not plug into your harness, but the P30 did plug into your harness?

Kirk

when i recieved the swap, i did not even try to plug in the ecu. i figured that would be the last thing i did, and did not want to mess with ripping up my footwell carpet and pluging it in. i looked it up on this site and it said it was OBD0, so i ran with that. Now he sent me the pictures of the ecu and it looks like it is an OBD1 ecu.

Rod-

Does the ecu look like this:

OBD1.jpg

Or like this:

OBD0.jpg

If it looks like the first one, it's OBD1. If not, it's OBD0.

If you need a OBD1 P30 ecu. I have one available. You can also use a OBD1 P28, chipped to DOHC spec, I can do this also.

Sorry to hear another hondafile got ripped off.

well the guy is into playing games with me...so i will play them back in court. as for what OBD, he sent me pics of the ecu (cause i have already returned it and he sent me a p30) and it is obd 1. i guess the post on the ecu reference is wrong in saying that the pr3-j51 is obd 0. just a word of advice for a newbie looking to buy a motor: go with a reputable company, even if it means you pay a little more. i know you can find some deals out there on ebay and shit, but the headaches you will get from it is not worth a couple hundred off the price. also stay away from streetdragz.com! the guy is a dick and a total ass. he got pissed off at me when i gave him negative feedback because he sent me an engine with a ruined crankshaft pulley (had to buy one from honda...$150=ouch), the cylinder had some water in it (he says from pressure washing), never came with the ac pump and he claims he had it packaged in there with the engine, ect... Trust me stay with someone reputable and you will be a whole lot happier insted of pissed off in court!

Originally posted by rodzilla@Feb 5 2003, 11:13 PM
well the guy is into playing games with me...so i will play them back in court. as for what OBD, he sent me pics of the ecu (cause i have already returned it and he sent me a p30) and it is obd 1. i guess the post on the ecu reference is wrong in saying that the pr3-j51 is obd 0. just a word of advice for a newbie looking to buy a motor: go with a reputable company, even if it means you pay a little more. i know you can find some deals out there on ebay and shit, but the headaches you will get from it is not worth a couple hundred off the price. also stay away from streetdragz.com! the guy is a dick and a total ass. he got pissed off at me when i gave him negative feedback because he sent me an engine with a ruined crankshaft pulley (had to buy one from honda...$150=ouch), the cylinder had some water in it (he says from pressure washing), never came with the ac pump and he claims he had it packaged in there with the engine, ect... Trust me stay with someone reputable and you will be a whole lot happier insted of pissed off in court!

Rod, the PR3 is the ECU type, and the J51 means Japanese, Auto trans, 1st software revision.

I'm glad to hear you at least got the right ecu.

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 5 2003, 11:10 PM

Rod, the PR3 is the ECU type, and the J51 means Japanese, Auto trans, 1st software revision.

so it was an auto trans ecu?!?! :angry: damn him, i tried to tell him that but he insisted that it was a 5 speed! is there a link where it breaks down how to tell what ecu is what as far as what is auto and what is manuel?

if there is a 5 on the side of the ecu--like mine says P28-A52

if the 5 is the 2nd to last number, u got urself an auto

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Feb 6 2003, 12:28 AM
if there is a 5 on the side of the ecu--like mine says P28-A52

if the 5 is the 2nd to last number, u got urself an auto

That is only one of the codes.

37802 - The Honda code for engine computer

PR3 - This is the actual ecu code

The you have the last 3 digits.

1st letter - A, C, J, L, etc..... All mean something.

2nd number - 0 or 5, usually manual (0) or auto (5)

3rd number - Firmware revision number 0,1,2 or 3.

There are exceptions.

a PR3-900 or 901 would also be an automatic.

A PR3-000 would mean manual.

So on, and so forth.....

Back