ECU Missing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alright I'm planning to buy a 1998 Civic with a 1999 GSR swap, but the car was stolen. Later it was recovered with a few parts missing. Well, the thieves stole the ECU. Rather than unplugging the ECU from the wire harness, they decide to cut it. Well, I'm wonder if I can just buy a wire harness and plug it up? Or, do I need to splice wires to hook up the wire harness?

So, the male-plugs are missing leaving only the wires.

It'll be a bitch, but it can be done, wire by wire.

Honda charges close to a thousand dollars just for the engine harness, so count that option out.

get one from somebody that got a JDM engine and didnt use the harness. lately the engines my local shop have been getting have a complete wiring harness, everything from plugs on engine to ecu plugs. or go to the junkyard and cut what you need out.

it won't be hard, all the colors match up if you go cut the male plugs off another obd2a car, just a little time consuming. whoever stole the car was an idiot, it would be just as quick to unplug the ecu than to cut the wires, and no tools would be required.

I just picture myself lying on the passenger floor, with shortened wires to work with. Butt connectors(or saturn, or what have you) would make a huge bundle, and soldering would be ridiculous.

Can it be done, hell yes. Will it be done, maybe, but it will suck.

Yeah your best option would be to cut the end off aother similar car and just attach one by one. That harness is expensive and a headache to replace.

sorry for the hijack

but if you wire in a new ECU in from a scrapped vehicle - even if its the right type wont you have a problem with the immobiliser.

reason i ask is i have an imported JDM engine complete with ECU and harness ready for an engine swap - but think even when its all wired up etc - it may not start due to the immobiliser.

can anyone throw some light on this ?

thanks

garz

Back