ECU Nightmare - help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

an203888

Hi,

You guys seem to be the most knowlegeable on teh web so I am hoping you can help.

I like in the UK and have a Mini. I have put a Honda CIVIC B16A2 (DOHC) engine into this little car and now have to do the wireing. I have heard that I have to have the matched key, immobiliser and ECU to get the car to run propperly - firstly is this true?

Running on this theory I went out and got the wiring from a 1997 SOHC Civic. It had the same generation ECU (OBD2) however when I got it home the ECU's are different - the DOHC one is a PT2 but the SOHC one is PTE. DOES THIS MATTER and if it does can I simply plug the PT2 one into the harness i.e will this ECU run with the immobiliser and key from the other cars wiring.

I hope that made sense cos I am really stuck at the moment.

Thankyou

Paul

Not the replys I was hoping for!! None of that anwserd my questions - M&L minis uses a DTA management system for there mini swaps and obviously it would be easy to use the correct wiring - ply and play. However I have not go the correct wiring and I have just paid 18o pounds for this one and b16a engins are not that comman around these parts.

Does anyone know if I can do what I am attempting as said in the oriiginal post?

Ok, if you're PT2 ECU and a 97 wiring harness, that is your first problem, the PT2 is OBD IIb, and the 97 is OBD II. Either, get a OBD I ECU chipped for you motor, and use a D16Z6 harness with an OBD IIb-OBD I conversion harness, or get a 99-00 Si harness.

yup... you jumped obd2a to obd2b with out realizing it.

99+ civics are obd2b, and have a different ecu side conenction.

there are ecu conversion harnesses available for 2a to 2b and vice versa as well.

remember, US != UK. In the UK, the B16A2 was much more common as it came in all the VTi Civics.

What year is the B16A2 you have? There maybe an OBD discrepancy as others have suggested (96-98 OBD2A vs 99-01 OBD2B). Hopefully you are in luck and you have an ECU we did not get here in the US :)

As long as the 1997 SOHC civic wiring you have will plug into the P2T ECU, you have a good start. The DOHC motors have more wires than SOHC however, so be prepared to add wires for things like knock sensor.

If you haven't already got a printed service manual, you should check out Icelord's collection of PDFs... http://icelord.net/honda/repair/

European OBD wasn't standarized until 2000 (Emmisions controls are much more strict however). It may be a non issue for you. I can't say for sure as I am not familiar with Euro Honda specs. I know we have run into this in the past with other vehicles across seas. As radnulb mentioned if your harness plugs into the P2T you have good start. Some simple wiring modifications and you'll be up and running.

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Feb 2 2004, 05:14 AM
European OBD wasn't standarized until 2000 (Emmisions controls are much more strict however). It may be a non issue for you.

Europe, thailand, Japan, America does matter Honda OBDs are the same. I live in Germany and all the ECUs are the same with respect to connections and years.

Thanks you guys are a lot of help.

Yes my PT2 ECU plugs into all my wiring fine - it is the same generation ECU so it all plugs into the wiring fine. How do i get it to work. Am I correct in thinking that it will only work if the code on the ECU matches the code on the immobiliser and key?

If this is true - surely all I have to do is cnage the code on teh ECU - how do I do this and will it work?

let me just point out that my engine wiring is correct (i.e it is from the b16a2 engine) the wiring inside the car is from a SOHC car - this plugs into the engine loom with no problems that I can see. The engine and engine loom is from a 1997 CIVIC VTI (with PT2 ECU) and the other wiring (PTE ECU, matching immobiliser and key) is from a 1997 SOHC CIVIC.

Basiclly if I had a 1997 CIVIC with a PT2 ecu and for whatever reason it got fucked (i.e I kicked it!) then I got another PT2 ECU - what would I have to do to get the new one to work with the rest of my car? That is the poblem I have really.

Also anyone able to get hold of the wiring diagrams for the wiring loom ofmy EURO 1997 CIVIC b16a2

I hope you guys can sort this problem out for me - cheers

Anyone - help?!!

Basiclly if I had a 1997 CIVIC with a PT2 ecu and for whatever reason it got fucked (i.e I kicked it!) then I got another PT2 ECU - what would I have to do to get the new one to work with the rest of my car? That is the poblem I have really.
Would it just plug in and work?

mini, as in The Italian Job mini????

Yeh as in The Italian Job mini!! With a b16a

Cleaned%20003.jpg

Cheers for the info - I will have a look - anyone else have any idea if this will work? I mean has anyone on here had to replace an ECU or even swapped one before - were there any problems?

Yeh - that isnt the latest pic - but I have to sort the wiring out now! should go 0-60 in around 5 sec when its on the road :D

as far as i know, the ecu must match the ignition or it simply won't turn the car on.
if down the road, it blows out on you (which is rare with honda ecus), i would simply get an obd2b ->1 conversion harness and run a p30 obd1 ecu. plug and play, and you won't have to mess with ignition or any of the bypass features.

hell, you could do that now if you wanted to take that move instead. the p30 is found in the uk 92-95 VTi's and usdm del sol VTEC's from 94-95. there may be a couple more ukdm cars that i don't know about that have the b16a3 in it, but thats where the p30 ecu is from.

So if I simply get this P30 OBD1 ecu and plug it in with the conversion harness the I wont have any problems with teh bloody immobiliser or transponder key - is this correct?

i'm pretty sure. all the functions of the imobilizer are IN the ecu- not in the ignition or anything like that. and the obd1 ecu, which does NOT have these imobilzers, will power your obd2 car just the same. Since it's an old chassis, even though the ecu is older, it shouldn't be a problem for emissions either.

Back