ecu problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xs2kx

ok maybe you guys can help me out here i just swapped a jdm b16a into a 98 ex coupe.......i also did a obd2 to obd1 conversion........ok now i go to start the car and it starts right up......runs for about 10 seconds then the main relay above the ecu starts clicking and the car dies and i get a check engine light......i jump out the service connecter to check out what codes there are and all i get is a solid light....i figured the jdm p30 was shot.....i tried my p28 with b16 maps and it did the same thing but smoked my computer....now im thinkin the conversion jumper harness is screwed up?????? while doin the swap i changed the injector plugs, distributor plugs, alternater plug and the IAT plug to obd1 plugs...all wires soldered and shrinkwrapped...let me know what you thnk i appreciate it thanks again...Rick

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 16 2005, 03:39 AM
Don't you have to use a scan tool for OBD II cars?
[post=487759]Quoted post[/post]​

How's he going to use a OBD2 scan tool on a OBD1 ecu?

Rick, sounds like the conversion harness is bunk. I would try to get another to see it that fixes your problem.

As far as changing the OBD2 connectors, sorry to say that was unnecessary. You can leave the injectors and all plugs alone on the OBD2 engine.

UNLESS, you are talking about a OBD0 B16 and you made it a OBD1.

If this is true, I surely hope you used a OBD1 dizzy, because rewiring the OBD0 dizzy will NOT work properly.

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster+Apr 16 2005, 04:17 PM-->
@Apr 16 2005, 03:39 AM
Don't you have to use a scan tool for OBD II cars?
[post=487759]Quoted post[/post]​

How's he going to use a OBD2 scan tool on a OBD1 ecu?

[post=487788]Quoted post[/post]​

How's he going to jump a connector that isn't there? My question is, if the car uses a scan tool, does it have an OBD I style jumper?

Hes got a 98 civic EX OBD2a and why would he put a OBDO motor in the car ??????? I think hes talking about the b16a from the 96-98 jdm civics or he has a OBD1 motor from the 92-95 JDM civics that probably why he has the jumper harness :huh:

What year is the motor ???? my guess is 92-95 JDM. You said that the relay above the ecu clicks. What relay are you talking about ???? might just be a bad relay. Or i could be becuse your useing a older ecu I dont really think it would be that though.

might be a bad ecu and puting a p28 in theres not gonna help becuse its not programed for a dohc motor.

might be a bad ground ive had this happen to me before. i was changing a part out on my motor and for got to hook up the ground that goes to it and try to start my car and and heard a clicking in my ecu thought I blew my ecu checked what i worked on and found the ground not connected. try that

thanks steve

Back