ecu question - auto and manual (differant?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90crxb16a

my friend has a wrecked civic vtec dohc that he said i could rape before the Insurance company picks it up. it is a 99 i think and it has a auto tranny in it. will the ecu work for my B16a swap (5 speed), also will the head pull of to go onto a ls block?

MIKE

Originally posted by 90crxb16a@Jul 5 2003, 02:44 PM
my friend has a wrecked civic vtec dohc that he said i could rape before the Insurance company picks it up. it is a 99 i think and it has a auto tranny in it. will the ecu work for my B16a swap (5 speed), also will the head pull of to go onto a ls block?

MIKE

I have an Auto motor/ecu in my 5 speed as well, what are the differences? ive been told that i should switch to manual cams and a Manual Ecu.... he mentioned something about the Rev limit being lower on the auto ecu and the cams arnt as efficiant for the 5 speed..... any info would be great....

Chris

https://hondaswap.com/~pills/autotomanual.html ... that's how to convert your ecu to a manual.

yes, auto cams are a little less agressive than thier manual counterparts.

and yeah, grab the head off of it too. you just need to enlarge the dowel pin holes, run an oil line, and plug a passage on the head and you'll have an ls/vtec.

have fun.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Jul 6 2003, 07:30 PM
https://hondaswap.com/~pills/autotomanual.html ... that's how to convert your ecu to a manual.

and yeah, grab the head off of it too. you just need to enlarge the dowel pin holes, run an oil line, and plug a passage on the head and you'll have an ls/vtec.

have fun.

Alright.... im not throwing any auto lockup codes (19)...... so maybe this has already been done..... the car as of right now limits at roughly 7800 rpms... shouldnt it be higher for the Manual? anyways of fixing this?

Chris

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Jul 6 2003, 07:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I beleive that's :bs: unless I see some proof.

No way Honda would put in different cams for an auto as opposed to a manual, that is very impractical and nonconservative on Honda's part, they would waste tons of money.

Automatic DOHC VTEC? The GSR and Civic SI engines are all manual transmissions except in Japan. Was the motor swapped out? As for the ECU, you should match the ECU with the engine. B16 is the Civic SI engine and if you have the Civic SI ECU, it should work. You can use the B16 Head for an LS/VTEC conversion. Are you sure that civic with the DOHC VTEC engine is an automatic? The only DOHC VTEC engine for that generation of a civic is the 99-00 Civic SI. They're all manual too if it was purchased in the states. :lol: Ha ha! That wrecked civic may be an auto SOHC. You need to find out buddy.

yea my friend does not Know his ass from his head. i got my hopes up for nothing. (dohc non vtec), now i must buy like everyone else.

side note: you guyes figured it out without even looking at the car, honda buffsWWWOOOOWWWW

PS: damn rice boys and ther fake vtec stickers

I would be willing to bet $100 that it's not a B18B auto, it's a stock SOHC D-series auto. Point being that in order to swap a B18B auto into a civic, you have to wire in the integra TCM(34 wires), and I've only seen a dozen or so people that have done it (myself included).
Ricers and fake VTEC stickers... :tfg:

I saw a VTEC sticker on a Nissan Maxima a couple weeks ago...sacrilege....
[sarcasm]Looked real good with the big aluminum wing though[/sarcasm] :puke:

Back