ECU questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smarty009

ok...so i just finished the swap with a 96 H22a into my 97 accord...the only problem is...i have an automatic transmission...and they ECU that was sent to me only works on manual transmissions...and it seems near impossible for me to find the correct ECU for my engine to make everything work correctly...right now im riding around with my F22's ECU...it will allow me to get from point A to point B...but im not getting the power i would get if i had the correct ECU...do any of yall know of a good place to find an ECU that will work with my automatic transmission? i wish i had the money...i would just go ahead and do the tranny swap to manual...but i dont...so im kinda stuck here...any help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

one question about the p13, p28, or p72...im not too knowledgeable when it comes to ecu...does it have to be specified as a 96 h22a ecu...or vtec...or whatever...or can i just do a plain out search for the p and number and even if it says civic si p28 for automatic tranny...then will it be ok for my car? sorry if this dont make sense...im still tryin to learn some stuff here...thanks again in advance

well...ive heard the manual can be converted to auto...just needs a transmission control module right? but ive also heard that it would be better just to go ahead and get another ecu...

as far as a P5M...i have no idea what that is...but let me go do some research...or maybe you can fill me in? thanks!

You need an OBD 2 ECU for auto. P28 and P72 have built in tranny controls, and I've heard don't work properly with accords and preludes.

Auto can be converted to manual, but not the other way around. I have two socketed P28's that I purchased to use in my Accord, just to find out that you can't use them in Automatic applications, even though they are auto ECUs.

Quoted post[/post]]
now the only thing is...im having trouble finding an obd2 ecu for auto...

would the p5m work on my 96 h22a...cuz ive only seen that it listed for a 97 h22a...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-01-honda...sspagenameZWD1V

keep in mind that i have my accord's automatic transmission still ...not a prelude automatic transmission...if that makes a difference?

that one should work. The Accord and Prelude trannies are very similar. The Prelude auto tranny might have slightly shorter gears, firmer shift, and/or LSD, but they look and work the same.

well...now i am questioning the year of the engine...i had someone put the engine in for me...he told me it was a 96 h22a...welllll...i did some reading on the intranet...and found out that there are these little dials on the block and one of them can tell you the year of the engine...that there are 2 numbers in the dial split by an arrow...well...the two numbers are a 9 and a 4...so if this is true...that tells me my engine is a 94...what do any of you think? i know the VIN can also tell me the year...but i am not sure where that is located on the engine...

anyways...now that i am unsure about my year...that messes up all the research ive done about what ecu i would need...cuz im thinking...if its a 94 engine...then that p5m prollie wouldnt work on it...and i would prollie need to go with a p13...hell...it even says p13 on the block right beside those dials i mentioned...amazing what you find when you actually look at the engine...lol...

but yea...anymore help will be greatly appreciated

Quoted post[/post]]
well...now i am questioning the year of the engine...i had someone put the engine in for me...he told me it was a 96 h22a...welllll...i did some reading on the intranet...and found out that there are these little dials on the block and one of them can tell you the year of the engine...that there are 2 numbers in the dial split by an arrow...well...the two numbers are a 9 and a 4...so if this is true...that tells me my engine is a 94...what do any of you think? i know the VIN can also tell me the year...but i am not sure where that is located on the engine...

anyways...now that i am unsure about my year...that messes up all the research ive done about what ecu i would need...cuz im thinking...if its a 94 engine...then that p5m prollie wouldnt work on it...and i would prollie need to go with a p13...hell...it even says p13 on the block right beside those dials i mentioned...amazing what you find when you actually look at the engine...lol...

but yea...anymore help will be greatly appreciated
If you have a internal dizy then it a 92-96 h22 and if you have a external dizy it a 97-01 I believe.

well if its wired as OBD2 then you have nothing to worry about...you can convert a 94 engine to OBD2 (with quite a bit of work). Check your cannon plugs (and make sure you dont have a conversion harness). If your OBD2, youre good to go on the P5M and staying auto.

ok...thanks for the help...i think im wired for obd2...but ill make sure...so if thats the case...then a p5m should just hook right up without a harness right?

lol, without a conversion harness, yes :)

ok...i know im asking a lot of questions...but im still learning...and ive already learned A LOT from you people on this site...thank you so much...but i have another question...lol...

i noticed that the p5m i have up there on that ebay auction is for california emmissions...since the L53 at the end of the part number stands for cali, auto, ecu program...

do any of you know if this one has the immobilizer in it? ive heard bad things about having one with an immobilizer in it...and i just wanna know if it has one...am i right about immobilizers being bad? let me know...thanks!

yes it will have an immobilizer on it...all P5Ms and P5Ps have them...gotta go to a dealer and get a programmed ignition cylinder.

now i just gotta figure out how much it would be to get a programmed ignition cylinder...lol...would it be worth it to go that route or just go with a p13 and conversion harness

Back