Ecu, Tranny Info For Crx Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jessed

this may or may not be in the right forum. if it is not i'm sorry. i have a 91 crx si w/ a 1gen b16a. i want to know if i have the right ecu. i did not do the swap so i don't know if the guy used the right ecu. i think the one that is in there is a pm6. what is this ecu from? is this the stock crx si ecu or is it a z6 ecu? i don't think it is the stock b16a ecu, but i am not sure. also the vtec is not hooked up. will i need another ecu to hook it up? if i need another ecu which one do i get? also how do you identify which tranny you have? i looked at it and there was a small gold tag on it that had this on it YT-1014051. also on top of the tranny right below the vtec sol. the letters LSD are stamped into it. does this mean it is limited slip differential?

sorry im an idiot. i went back out to look at my tranny and found that the YT that i saw was really just some oil on the Y1( making the 1 appear to be a T). :unsure: yea i am frickin genius. still need to know about the ecu though.

thanks kirk, it's much appreciated. i called the guy and he said he had his friend send the computer off to skunk2 to be reprogrammed, but the only thing he knows is that they put a chip in it and removed the rev limiter. i am not a fan of removing the rev limiter, but oh well. you know a little too much and POP! there goes my engine. i guess it would be good for future mods(valves, valve springs, etc. ) does any one know if i can pop open the ecu and find out what kind of chip is in it and if so can i call skunk2 and ask what all that chip does?

As far as getting a re-limiter back in your ROM, go here - GhettoDyne and start reading the FAQ's - you can learn enough to get the data out of your ROM and into a .BIN file, read the fuel maps, ignition maps and put a rev limit in - then burn yourself a new ROM.

I'm still a little confused on the motor ECU combination though...do you have a JDM B16A? B16A'a came with two different ECU's - an OBD0 PR3 with the 88-91 JDM B16a and an OBD1 PR3 with the 92-93 Integra RSi/XSi and the JDM B16A SIR2. Can you find out what you really have under the hood?

Kirk

sorry, but most of that stuff that you just said means nothing to me, the ROM stuff, etc.... i don't know hardly anything about ecu stuff. i have a j-spec first gen b16a and a Y1 tranny. i think the engine came out of a j-spec crx, but not sure. the ecu is a pm6 that has supposedly been reprogrammed by skunk2. i am not too worried about the rev limiter i will just set my shift light a little before stock b16a redline. actually i don't really know what stock redline is, can anyone tell me. i just need to know if the ecu was possibly programmed for vtec. is there anyway to tell by looking inside the ecu to see what chip they put in it? if i check the ecu with the site you suggested will i be able to check to see if the vtec was programmed in. i guess a better question is can you program a non-vtec ecu to accept and run vtec? from what i have been told you can, but i am not sure. i am still looking for an answer to the ques about the tranny. do the letters LSD stamped on the top of the tranny mean that is has a limited slip differential?

B16A 89-91 ECU choices: PR3 or PW0. both are OBD0. they did make a PR3 obd! but you cann't use it. (too much rewiring or get a ecu jumper) The PM6 ECU is from a 88-91 Civic/CRX SI and it wont rev past 6800 and the PR3/PW0 will rev to 8200 and engage V-tec at 5200 guess that why they removed the rev limit. What kind of car do you have. If its a SI for that ECU to engage V-tec should add only 1 wire to the V-tec silonoid if it was a DX would have 5 wires added and some swaped. Its verrrrrrry rare for a tranny to be stamped LSD, does the stamp look about 12 years old???like its been aged. The only real way to verify it has a LSD is to pull the drivers axle. When you look in the transfer case (where the axel goes) is there a bar that runs from side to side if there is bad new no LSD if there is nothing there congrats your lucky and I will buy it. Hope this help you out. And answers all your q's....BTW the engine itself doesn't matter.....it depends on what electronics you using on the motor itself. The motor is stupid, the ECU is the brains of the operation

thanks a lot zCivic :)
my car is an si. let me get this straight. to get the vtec to work all i have to do is hook up one wire? right now both the oil pressure sensor and the vtec sol. have no wires going to them, just their original plugs. i have been looking at the june 2002 edition of Sport Compact Car and they have a wiring how to for wiring dual point to multi point EFI. the 91 crx si was multi pt right? they also give a detailed diagram of how to wire up vtec(vtec sol, oil press sen, knock sen, and 2nd o2sen). currently none of these are hooked up on my car. they also give a diagram of the pm6(the one i have) as well the pm7, pwo, and pr3. the wiring plugs show to be the same, even the pin numbers you put them in. the instructions are as follows: to hook up the o.p.s. you need to run a blue w/black wire to pin (b5), the knock s. run a red w/blue wire to pin (b19), the 2nd o2sen run a white wire to pin (c8), and finally the vtec sol. run a green w/ yellow wire to pin (a8). supposedly thats it, you've got vtec. they suggest running a new 4 pin plug which i am sure you can pick up from any good parts store and that is what i plan to do. i want it to look as professional as possible :D oh yea i almost forgot the ground wire(black) from the oil pres.sen. just goes to something metal on the engine/body. i still have a question, how will the comp know to kick the vtec in. does this depend on the programming in the skunk2 chip. also i thought i read that the vtec is kicked in by the oil pressure, if this is true the programming in the comp really doesn't matter does it, or does it? which one is correct or are both of them? oh yea the stamp on the tranny does look like it is 12 yrs old. i will be pulling the axles today because the guy has the wrong ones in it, so maybe i will find out soon. B) thanks again for all your help.

Ok if its a 1 wire V-tec ECU, more then likly it would already be hooked up. That you would have to check about with who ever gave you the ECU ask him if its programed to engage V-tec. If its not you need to make a V-tec switch, ex. Fields V-tec, Apex V-AFC or use a MSD RPM switch to engage the v-tec at desired RPM. Seeing that you ECU isn't set up to look for oil pressure, knock sensor or 2nd o2 sensor you dont need to add those thats only if using a PR3/PW0 ecus thats designed for the B16's, and needs those sensors. hope this helps some more any other q's let me know I'll check up on this post

to zCivic, are you saying that i don't need to hoop all those other sensors and stuff up, just the vtec sol.? i may have read the article wrong in sport compact car. they may have been talking about only using that wiring for a pr3 or pwo ecu? where is the best place to get the msd rpm switch and how would i hook it up to my vtec? is there any may to just make something that would engage the vtec sol? does it just run off of 12v power? oh by the way if you have read my other post: 91 crx si, do i buy this car? you will know i have been working on actually getting the thing going. it has been running fine, i have just had axle probs and finally got them all worked out due to the info on hasports website :worthy: those guys rock. it seems to drive fine and turn left fine, but there still seems to be some sort of very, very slight vibration when i turn left, no noises or anything though? have any ideas? thank you so much for your help so far. i did pull the cover off the ecu and there was a label on one of the chips that said 90-91 civic/crxsi/ex revlimit 8500 JandE tuning. so i guess it does have a rev limit. have you ever heard of j and e tuning?

Yeah in SCC it was the wiring diagram using a PR3/PW0 ECU so you wouldn't need to add those sensors unless you change you ECU. As far as the V-Tec sil. it runs off 12volts but a MSD switch is a negative trigger, so you add a main relay and when the deisred RPM it complets the Ground circut and engages V-TEC. I have an xtra MSD RPM Module if your intersted and it has 4k-4800 RPM pills, will include a wired main relay with wiring directions. You can use a toggle switch but that really suxs you maynot turn it on or off, just get a RPM switch its worth it in the long run. The vibrations unsure of would have to suggest getting the front end check out. Its a good thing your ECU has a rev limit(so dont over rev and kaboooom) 8500 is 300RPMS higher then the stock for a B16 should be pretty safe there. Never heard of j and e tuning, but alot of indivuals rechip ECUs now and alot of shops also, so it could be something like that, It could still be a skunk2 program just not sold by skunk2 meaning that someone else bought the program specs and reburned to your chip and numerious other chips

oh yeah and about your speedo, there is 1 cable that runs in to the top in a funky looking thing kinda hard to get to. You need to remove you intake tube and you should be able to see it sometimes it will have 2 vac hose lines on it never seen them going anywheres but they are there??, will see if can post pics if needed. There is a clip that holds it in place, if the clip is gone would have to get another one to hold that in place unless its hooked up there your disconnected behind the gauge cluster would need to take it out. I would say they didn't hook it up at the tranny. There is your cable for your clutch on the front and then behind it will be the speedo cable, pull on it if it pulls out need a clip, if wont come off cable may also be broke

thanks man you rock. i drove the car some more and i really don't think there is a big problem. it doesn't vibrate at all driving straight, but you can feel just a very, very, very, slight something when you turn. i have new tie rod ends ordered and will be installing them maybe sun. or mon. and will be getting it realigned, so that may fix the problem. the ones that are on there are shot! about that msd switch. how much do you want for it. if you don't want to post just email me @ jessehornbeak@jesusanswers.com so are those other sensors and stuff not required to run vtec? will it hurt my engine not to have them? should i look into getting a pr3/pwo ecu? will those ecu's plug into my stock si harness? i am really enjoying the car though. it pulls pretty hard in first, a little weak in second, but wow third gear is awesome!.. me and my friend kinda raced. he has a 93 del sol si with just an iceman cold air and some cheap rear section exaust and he can hang with me until i hit third then i walk pretty hard. can't wait till i get the vtec hooked up :rolleyes: about the speedo. there is a cable that looks like it comes from the speedo down to the tranny but it is like a cable. there is a sort of solenoid looking thing pointing up out of the top back of tranny w/ like a gray plug on it. i don't know man? if you could get some pics it would be appreciated. you can either post or email me. thanks again for the help. :)

Back