1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECU's and Such

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by Xaero3953, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Xaero3953

Xaero3953 Senior Member

Hola, I'm planning a future swap for my Civ (what I call my baby :lol: ). I rebuilt the motor myself and am working on finding a transmission for it. My main question is I don't know very much, if anything, about ECU's and the electronics of a motor :unsure: . Could anybody lay out the basics, and/or refer me to some good books, websites, videos, etc.. that would help? Thanks :thumbsup:

I just mainly want to know how my computer works in my 00 ex, basically how it works, what it controlls, and what "chipping" does.

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you gotta be more specific dude...

3. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i got an obd1 pr3 ecu for sale...120 shipped

4. Xaero3953

Xaero3953 Senior Member

Does that help any? B)

5. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

no, dosen't help at all. the ecu's that you'ver herd about being "chipped" are obd1 ecus. your car/ecu is obd2b which nobody has figured out how to "chip" or hack yet. so if you want a tuneable engine managment system, you either have to buy a stand alone, such as aem ems... or buy a chipable obd1 ecu, such as the one that the kind gentlemen above offered for sale (maybe if could help then) and a conversion harness to enable your car to run on an obd1 ecu. but yeah... i'm sure that will leave you with a lot of questions... just post 'em.

6. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

yea like the man said...let me know...good lookin out

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

ok, a computer is a brain.
    and each sensor is like a finger tip.

you stab your finger, it goes to your brain through your nevers (the wire harness) and it tells the brain to feel pain (or, kocking for example). from there, the brain will tell the other sensors what to do and so on and so forth.

perhaps an intro to electronic fuel injection would help.
    http://autorepair.about.com/od/enginefuelfuelinjectio/

now, when you chip it, you basically take out the stock program that ships with the ecu from honda, and bypass the circuitry to ready the rom chip instead. when your motor is stock, theres no need for this-- but when you start modding, the stock program becomes less and less ideal for your setup. so you get a program on a chip that will run your car better.

make sense?

8. Xaero3953

Xaero3953 Senior Member

Yeah, a lot, thanx.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted