ECU's and Such

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xaero3953

Rest In Peace
Hola, I'm planning a future swap for my Civ (what I call my baby :lol: ). I rebuilt the motor myself and am working on finding a transmission for it. My main question is I don't know very much, if anything, about ECU's and the electronics of a motor :unsure: . Could anybody lay out the basics, and/or refer me to some good books, websites, videos, etc.. that would help? Thanks :thumbsup:

I just mainly want to know how my computer works in my 00 ex, basically how it works, what it controlls, and what "chipping" does.

Originally posted by Xaero3953@Sep 15 2005, 09:11 PM
Does that help any? B)
[post=555237]Quoted post[/post]​

no, dosen't help at all. the ecu's that you'ver herd about being "chipped" are obd1 ecus. your car/ecu is obd2b which nobody has figured out how to "chip" or hack yet. so if you want a tuneable engine managment system, you either have to buy a stand alone, such as aem ems... or buy a chipable obd1 ecu, such as the one that the kind gentlemen above offered for sale (maybe if could help then) and a conversion harness to enable your car to run on an obd1 ecu. but yeah... i'm sure that will leave you with a lot of questions... just post 'em.

Originally posted by Xaero3953@Sep 15 2005, 07:12 PM
I just mainly want to know how my computer works in my 00 ex, basically how it works, what it controlls, and what "chipping" does.
[post=555176]Quoted post[/post]​

ok, a computer is a brain.
and each sensor is like a finger tip.

you stab your finger, it goes to your brain through your nevers (the wire harness) and it tells the brain to feel pain (or, kocking for example). from there, the brain will tell the other sensors what to do and so on and so forth.

perhaps an intro to electronic fuel injection would help.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/enginefuelfuelinjectio/

now, when you chip it, you basically take out the stock program that ships with the ecu from honda, and bypass the circuitry to ready the rom chip instead. when your motor is stock, theres no need for this-- but when you start modding, the stock program becomes less and less ideal for your setup. so you get a program on a chip that will run your car better.

make sense?

Back