Edelbrock Performer X Turbo kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

OK I have the turbokit... I am looking at the instructions... It says the VTEC solenoid gets rewired through the piggyback fuel controller... but what if the car's not VTEC? I have an email out to Edelbrock, but I figured I'd ask you folks too. Do other turbokits require rewiring like this? I'd like to not have to swap in a D16 if I can get away with it, so any help would be welcome.

The turbokit's pretty awesome though, comes with everything but the kitchen sink.

It comes with the piggyback because the intake manifold it comes with has a second fuel rail with a second set of injectors that kick in under boost, apparently. This is becoming rather tedious, I'm thinking about just doing a B16A SiRII swap instead... was looking at one on hmotorsonline for 2300 for the package...

But anyway, where can I get this FMU and bypass thingy, and how much do they cost?

Check ebay or in the classifieds on most forums sights. Ive seen FMU's go for 60 on ebay and missing links are pretty cheap too. ill see if i can get you some links

don't use that rail then either.

god that kit sucks.

Yeah, I'm thinking unless there's a way that my installer can make it work well(don't know much about DIY... learning quick tho) I'll just return it and save up some more money for an engine swap...

Thanks for those links, allbottledup. I'll have to look at those on my lunch.

that is a great turbo kit. what did you pay for it?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 29 2004, 06:47 AM
screw that piggy back.

don't even plug it in.

just get a 12:1 fmu and a missing link map bypass.

Wow, this is the first time I think I have ever seen Brian recommend an FMU.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 29 2004, 11:20 AM
Wow, this is the first time I think I have ever seen Brian recommend an FMU.

that's how much that kit sucks

:lol:

Hmm. FMU and the other thing aren't much money, so I guess I'll go that way. AFAIK all the parts in the kit are good parts, it's just their fuel delivery system is a bit.. well.. fucked up.

Well I'll make it work. Either way, this car is GOING to be turbo. ;)

Thanks for the help guys

Might I suggest Uberdata and some 450ccs instead?
I don't think Brian will argue with me that it is a superior option to a FMU + link...

You could have a lot of fun with that second set of injectors... Run water injection setup from hell. :)

I've decided not to install the turbo. Going to return it, get the body and paint done, and then save up for an engine swap. Turboing this one is turning into far too much trouble - just gonna save up for a B16 and then turbo that.

For now I'm just gonna run a Zex Dry 50 shot bottle. :p Hell, if the engine blows, at least I'll have an excuse to get a new one! :D

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 29 2004, 02:31 PM

For now I'm just gonna run a Zex Dry 50 shot bottle. :p Hell, if the engine blows, at least I'll have an excuse to get a new one! :D

Good Choice! That is about the only thing D series are good for anyway :ph34r:

D series are like mopeds and fat chicks...you know the rest... :)

Back