EF 1991 si swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

weside34

I am going to get either a b16 or a ZC swap for my ef hatch. I am wondering if getting a 99-00 si computer will help me out?

Let me know what you think.

Also I need good ideas for cheap mods to add horsepower. I already have intake and exhaust taken care of.

getting a 99 si ecu would not help you out!! If you are staying obd0, then you will need a jdm pr3 ecu. If you convert to obd1, you can use any ecu from obd1, you just have to get it chipped for your application. Check in the tech-reference section and im sure youll find a write up or two!! good luck!:)

I am going to get either a b16 or a ZC swap for my ef hatch. I am wondering if getting a 99-00 si computer will help me out?

Let me know what you think.

Also I need good ideas for cheap mods to add horsepower. I already have intake and exhaust taken care of.

Do you not understand how the OBD systems work? You need to use an ECU that's compatible with your car's OBD system (which is OBD0), or buy a conversion harness that will allow you to run a motor and ECU from a different OBD setup.

And for a ZC, the Si computer won't work well at all. I don't know why you'd even consider that...

Also, don't count on your current intake and exhaust bolting up to your new motor. You may have to buy new ones or modify your current ones.

your best bet would be to run an obd1 p28 ecu it has a good all around base map setting

obd1

The best thing is to get a p28 and convert to obd1 also go with the b16 if not d16 vtec

Last edited:
your best bet would be to run an obd1 p28 ecu it has a good all around base map setting

Uh, no. You need to stop giving advise, because it's pretty clear that you don't know what you're talking about... :slap:

He needs an ECU that's appropriate to his motor and OBD setup. If he's going to stick with OBD0, then he should use the PR3 (as was already mentioned). If he's going to swap to OBD1, then he needs either an SiR2 ECU (don't know the code off hand), or an OBD1 P30 for a B16, or a PR2 if he chooses to go with the ZC.

The P28 is not an end-all ECU solution. The reason so many people use it is because it's easy to find, and easy to chip and tune. That's the thing though, YOU HAVE TO CHIP IT AND TUNE IT. It's meant for a single-cam motor, it's not going to run a B16 well in stock form. In order to run a B16 (and run it well), it needs to be chipped and programmed with a B16 map. That way it emulates the engine's original ECU, and runs the motor accordingly.

Once again, if you don't know what you're talking about, then there's no need to respond...

Ecu,B16,D16

I think he knows about the ecu needing to be chiped. If he can get the ecu that goes with the engine find, but if not he should get a P28 and a Z6 more power than a ZC with less money to be spend.

I think he knows about the ecu needing to be chiped. If he can get the ecu that goes with the engine find, but if not he should get a P28 and a Z6 more power than a ZC with less money to be spend.

Meh, I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. He said, "get the P28, it has a good all-around basemap". To me that says, "get a P28, it will run anything well enough," which isn't true at all.

Back