EF/ZC tranny problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

I have a '91 DX with DOHC ZC engine, tranny, ecu, MPFI, intake, exhaust. Anyway, I was havin' problems with second (grinding, etc) and then couldn't shift into reverse, no other symptoms except not being able to select the gear. I put my old DX tranny on the ZC about four months ago. I've had no problems since untill today, no reverse again! I have no idea what could be causing this except maybe that the trans is settling low on its mounts causing the linkage to move out of line. Please help me as I highly doubt that i damaged both transaxles in the same way (the ZC has 45K and the DX 150). :worthy:
~timE

i agree, they do that often. so it is quite possible that your luck went that way.

if by any chance it isnt id be checkin your shift linkage, if its excessively worn. but by the sounds of it, if 2nd is grinding then thats a good sign that is has a good number of miles on it., which increases the possibility that the tranny needs to be taken apart!

Are there any other ideas as to how this could happen? I jacked up the trans from underneath the passenger side mount hoping that it would realign the linkage, but still had no success putting it into gear. Isn't there some kind of "reverse lockout" mechanism that prevents idiots from putting it into reverse while the car is moving forward? Something related the the VSS signal I'd assume. Anyway, I called Gearspeed (I saw their work in a mag and liked their thoughness/quality) And they said that they would do a complete teardown/rebuild, carbon synchros, and a new final drive to my specs for $800. Their customer service was awesome, but I just wish I had the money. I know I could do it my self, I just don't really want to (if you know the level of work involved, I'm sure you understand). Thanx for the feedback~
~timE

there isnt a R lockout but reverse doesnt have a syncro so you would knwo if you were putting in reverse instead of 4th

drive very slow forward and then while moving try and get it into reverse(but dont actually put it all the way in), if you hear it grind then you know it isnt the linkage because its obviously lined up with the gear

Today I disconnected the linkage at the base of the shifter and tried to get it into Reverse and still had no luck.

800 is steep, i would just pop another trans in there...

disconnecting the linkage gives you less leveage = bad...

is your clutch adjusted properly?

what do you think of the ZC?

I really like the powerband :lol: , it's no VTEC but it gets the job done. When I took off the linkage I tried to hammer it into reverse. 800 is alot but they are very thorough (sp.) Anyway, I bought a parts car today (90 LX) for 100. The tranny and axels are good so thats worth the money right there, after that I'll just strip it down and junk the shell. Thanx everyone for the help, BTW if ne1 wants LX parts let me know!!! (power windows, locks, AC, ect.)

Back