EG Auto to (CABLE)Manual trans swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smkngta

I have a 95 dx coupe with an automatic trans. Im thinking of swaping to a first gen b16 with the cable trans. When i searched all i could come up with was auto to (hyd) manual swaps. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap and knows what parts and from which cars can be used and how it all comes together. I would think all you need is the tranny mount, shift linkage, pedals, shifter, and clutch cable... is that it? Any advise would be helpful or a link to a "how to" arcticle would be great.

Thanx

You could do the cable conversion but it would be easyer to get a 1st gen b16 or an obd1 integra b16 and then get a hydro trans seperatly, this will save you cash on the motor, 1st gens are way cheaper, but you won't have to do a cable conversion.

the reason i was thinking of doing a first gen b16 is because its obviously a lot cheaper but I also thought that it would be a lot easier to convert my car from an auto to a cable manual since I dont have all of the hyd lines, and that seems like it would be a pain in the ass and more expensive then just running a cable trans. am I right, or is it pretty cheap and easy to convert to a hyd trans?

Yea, I'm also having trouble figuring out which is easier...I have a 99 civic and wondering if cable is easier than hydro is not I know I'm going to need motor mounts, engine, trans, master and slave cylinders, clutch lines, shifter, shift linkage, axels (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) but I've been wondering if tranny mounts are needed and if anything else is needed...So if either of you have info on any of this or find anything else out i would really appreciate if you let me know about it or where i could find it.

yeah, it looks to me like the cable trans would be esier to install since you dont have to worry about all of the plumbing involved in a hyd system, but i cant seem to find any info on putting a cable trans in a car that was origionally designed to have a hyd trans. Im sure it has been done b4, so if anyone out there has done this swap or knows where i can find more info about it please let me know.

thanx

Just get hydraulic lines from a civic like yours from the junkyard; you won't have to bend any hardlines since its already there. If you still want to do cable; just get a cable pedal assembly.

you can also do like i did on my ef for a hydro trans

get a pedal set and master/slave cyl
then get the correct length of -3 braided line and the fittings that go in to the slave and master cyl that convert to -3an i think that it is a m12x2.0 thread standard flair but im not sure on that part. it is easier because thhe pedal set bolts right in and your line is flexable

smkngta,

I hope you found some info.
I just stumbled across this post today.
I have a 95hb which i converted from 1.5l auto to
a 2.0 5 speed.
Let me tell you that it is alot of work, but well worth it.

I have a 2001 b20z2 mated to a 91 teg s1 tranny.
I used the clutch/brake/gas pedal assembly from the 91 teg.
It had to be modified to fit.(just had to cut some here and there)
I did this coversion back in nov of 2004 so it's been a while.

I used the 95 integra motor mount for the driver side and rear.
For the transmission I used the 91 integra motor mount.
Inorder to use that mount i hd to remove the mount bracket which is welded
to th echasis. Tranny side. You can order a new bracket for about 30 bucks or if our careful when removing the original you can reuse it. To remove the original go and buy yourself a drip bit designed to drill out spot welds.
Yes, the bracket is only spot welded into place. I removed about 9-10 of them.
Any way with the braket out of the way I dropped the engine and tranny in mounted it from the driver side and rear. Now what i did next was install the tranny mount to the tranny with the bracket attached. I had to jack the tranny up a bit to get the bracket into place on the frame. After getting the bracket into place I leveled the engine and had the braket spot welded tokeep it from moving.
I the disconnected the braket from the mount and removed the engine/tranny from the bay.
Then i have the bracket completely welded into place.
I am sure i still have some pics. i could e-mail them to you if you want them just let me know.
If i knew how to post pics i would.

b20z2
thanx for the info, I would like to see any pix you have from ur conversion. How do you like your b20, and I'm curious to know what kind of gas mileage you get with it? I was considering doing a b18b or b20 swap but I use to have a b16 in a 91 crx that was a blast to drive and I still got around 36mpg with it no matter how hard I drove it, so I was thinking of doing a 1st gen b16 converted to obd1 with cable trans swap in my 95 coupe but Im not sure yet. I thought that there wasnt going to be any problem with the tranny mount, I was under the impression that it would bolt up the same as the hyd trans, but it doesnt look like thats the case from what you r saying. Do you know of any good arcticles or sites that have more info on putting a cable trans in an eg? I'm going to send you an email so you have my address for those pix.
Thanx again

i love the b20.
i have a zietronix wide band o2 in it and i use the software that came with it to data log.
I average 29-31mpg that is mixed driveing 60%city/40%highway.
Well on a normal driving day I spend most of my time in at 10%-20% throttle.
That's all it needs to drive normal with very good acel too.
FYI
at 60mph my rpm are right around 2900-3100 rpm. in 5th gear.
Launching can be tricky, i have to feather the clutch to keep from spinning the tires.
In first I can take off slow then give it gas and it will spin the tires.
I am running cooper tires on the fat fives.
Those tire are great in the rain.
You will have to move the bracket for sure if you plan on using the cable tranny.
I have my ehaust set up to be quiet.
It's 2.25" with a high flow cat(real one) for the resonator I used a 24" glass pack aka cherry bomb.
and The muffler i chose was a dynomax super turbo muffler.
At idle it has a very deep mellow tone.
At w.o.t , well I love the sound of the intake more than the exhaust.
It's fun to leave people behind who seemed to be 100% sure that they could beat me.
Sometimes the sound of the intake is all it take for them to change there minds.

I was just reading up on the b20 and it sounds like a really nice engine for what Im looking for. I was wondering what trans u have and how you like the gearing for city and freeway driving (75+mph) as far as how easy it is to drive in stop and go and if there is any anoying buzz on the freeway.

Back