EG civic CX rear sway bar install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, my new rear LCA's should be sitting on my porch, so I'm checking parts for the rear SiR-G brake/suspension/ITR sway install. Just peeked under my car and had a couple of realizations:

1. The rear sway on an EG civic requires a sway bar bracket. DOH! The bracket holes are not "tapped" but they are "drilled" So i need suggestions as to how to weld in a nut in that tight ass little area. It'll be hell. Will welding on that area cause the suspension point to become weak? Its just sheetmetal. :dry:

2. More parts will be needed. I've seen a rear "brace" thing that connects the rear points and bolts to the sway bar mounts as well. Its not a LCA brace, its bigger. Supposedly keeps the rear sub frame from tearing. Anyone know what I'm talking about and/or know where to get one?? I can't seem to figure out where they are coming from. I've seen a couple in pics but haven't found their source.

3. The car is lowered 1.7 inches in the rear, so I'm thinking if I go "custom" I'll move the sway bar body mounting points up about an inch from where they are. Should help with suspension geometry.

4. To get exactly what I want, I'm going to have to go to a machine shop and pay out the ass for a freakin' part to be custom made. I hope someone makes these and sells them.

Discuss.

Quoted post[/post]]

1. The rear sway on an EG civic requires a sway bar bracket. DOH! The bracket holes are not "tapped" but they are "drilled" So i need suggestions as to how to weld in a nut in that tight ass little area. It'll be hell. Will welding on that area cause the suspension point to become weak? Its just sheetmetal. :dry:

You could use nuts/bolts on the inside and torque them down properly, no welding

sway bars are over-rated IMO. i had 0 problems getting my eg to rotate... lift-throttle, left-foot brake, whatever... it comes right out when you want it to if you know what you're doing.

daddio never ran 'em either. and he's taken multi national fwd championships and won the mazda rev it up challenge 2 years in a row....

Got my rear ITR sway bar installed. Made a world of difference. Understeer is GREATLY reduced. Car feels alot more snappy than it did. I actually had to hold myself in the seat while cornering at 50mph. Huge difference from no sway bar to a 22mm sway bar. And the beaks kit wasn't that bad once installed. When compared to the factory sway brackets, the beaks kit looks much tougher. I also added a little bit of my own genious to toughen it up a bit. :wink:

Beaks kit:
rearsway1.jpg

Just before install:
rearsway2.jpg

Installed:
rearsway3.jpg

I also added energy suspension rear sway bar bushings. :thumbsup:

I'd like to say that adding a rear sway to a non rear sway EG will nickle and dime you to death. 65 here, 70 there, 10 here, 30 there 100 here.. Its endless. well, not quite.. but damn near it.

Quoted post[/post]]
i know :) i just find it easier with the knobs facing toward the back.

oh, I see.. There are no knobs. The rears on these actually have the adjustments at the top of the strut, like the fronts. I Lucked out on that, I don't have to get under the car at all to adjust suspension. :mrgreen:

+1 on AGX's. I run them and I love em. I might be getting some nifty D2 coilovers in the spring though. :ph34r:

Yeah, 3 or 4 on NE roads is brutal. With settings on 3 and 4, I could feel the lines on the highway - no joke.
I have mine cranked down to 1 all around for winter. Not like a stiff suspension could do anything with my awsome 4" wide snow tires anyway.

another +1 on those agx's. usually around the rainy season i run on 1 or maybe 2 if i feel dangerous, but normally 3 during the summer, 4 can be a bit stiff, i prefer it for the track mainly!

i'm with b on this sway bar issue, i don't have em and my hatchy handles just fine, acctually better than fine :laugh:

you guys are just pussies.

i ride the AGX's on 4/8 all day long. everyday. yep.

Chris, you were there;)

I've had my AGXs set on 4 front 4 rear for a while now, I agree that you can feel every crack on a concrete highway. On blacktop they're fine, but on crete they're awful. Every expansion joint sets my teeth rattling. I've been meaning to try softer settings but keep forgetting until I'm out on the road. I've gotta get my backseat toolkit together finally (ratchet with 10, 12, 14, 17mm, AGX screwdriver, spare radiator hose clamps, duct tape, etc) I just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do then I can adjust em regardless of where I am. And mine adjust at the top of the strut too.

Back