EG Civic with B16 - Gas mileage ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DenverD

Would an EG Civic with a B16 swap get gas mileage comparable to it's EK Si or Del Sol VTEC "cousins"?

Or, is there some light that a person who has done the swap can shine on the subject?

I just did a b16 swap into my 99 civic. I only drove the car home with the stock engine, then did the swap. i am very impressed with the fuel economy since the swap. I am in canada, so not sure if my mpg numbers are accurate but it gets about 45mpg highway at 120+ km/hr steady. About 500kms on a tank about 30-35litres. For perspective, my winter beater geo metro automatic won't always get that!!!!!

you should get good gas mileage if the engine is stock or near stock. the short gear ratio on b16a trans keep them from getting the best highway mileage... unless you drive 60 anyways!

i used to get as high as 29mpg in city driving with a bolt-on b16 if you drive it pretty easy and stay out of vtec. when i took it on highway trips the most i would get is 26-27mpg but thats because i was cruising at 80mph.

fuel economy depends alot on how you drive as well.

i used to get as high as 29mpg in city driving with a bolt-on b16 if you drive it pretty easy and stay out of vtec. when i took it on highway trips the most i would get is 26-27mpg but thats because i was cruising at 80mph.

Can I ask you what bolt-ons you had?

I'm doing a b16 swap into my old EG, and I'm gonna throw some mods on (nothing fancy, won't push more 200hp).

Just trying to get a feel for how much gas I'll be using.
(And trying to account for how much more driving I'll be doing.)

cold air intake, dc header, test pipe, thermal r&d cat back exhaust, clutchmasters clutch and lightweight flywheel, chipped ecu, i think that was it as far as engine mods

even when i tried to stay out of the throttle, i still had to hit it every once in a while, so im sure the numbers could get higher if you really really baby it.

Back