Eg Hatch H22a Jdm Swap Question!!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pmoxEg93

Hello folks...I'm new to the eg hatch (just bought last weekend and is a shell) and new to the H22a motor! I previously owned a 99 civic si so am familiar with the general vtec stuff...the issue is I am interested in doing an h22 swap into my eg hatch and have researched the swap pretty extensively...I understand everything completely except for the wiring harness. I see ppl saying you have to modify the harness etc. My civic only has a body harness right now...cant i just use an obd1 h22a harness out of a prelude instead of buying and modifying an obd1 civic harness... someone please explain!!!

You should be able to take the Civics body harness as it comes threw the firewall and be ok as long as the OBD1 engine harness from the prelude isn't hacked up

Ok im just wondering why this isnt brought up more ive been doing hours of research...if its so easy to just use a prelude harness for an h22 into eg swap why do people waste their time/money making or having someone make them a harness

the motor/trans/harness/ecu are all jdm coming from jdmtigerjapanese.com will that make a difference in a. the connectivity of my eg body harness into the jdm h22 ecu and b. i know i cant use a jdm harness because of the right hand drive engine harness being too short will the usdm obd1 h22 harness work with jdm engine and ecu!!! this will be a big help if someone has an answer or atleast an educated guess

I do not think you need a USDM H22 harness if the JDM swap comes with one. I believe you should use your stock engine harness and modify it by lengthening and/or shortening a few. Just label them (cuz you may need to take some plugs off that H22 motor and splice them into your stock harness) I do not think a USDM H22 OBD1 engine harness plugs into the shock tower plugs leading into your cabin. But I never did my very own H22 swap.....only helped drop one in and looked at the wiring later.....he used the stock harness in his DX and ran VTEC, Knock snesor and there were other mods....gotta be info out there.

I am going to google it for you ("EG H22 what engine harness?")

Civic EG :: View topic - The H22 into EG swap info

That was the 4th hit......Take it with a grain of salt but I think it suggesed some of the stuff I talked about plus tons and tons more for a H22 in an EG. Good luck and research more.

Solder the lines....don't use crimp connectors or crazy Honda Gremlins will haunt you.

H2B is the way to go.....no doubt in my mind. You should look into it and seriously think about it (if you aren't already heading that route)

Last edited:
Thanks Cafrog...however i already read that in my research i did google it...however if you refer to my previous posts...i dont have an engine harness in the car right now and the engine swap im buying comes with a jdm obd1 engine harness and the ecu

Well.....would you ask least agree that you need to source yourself another 92-95 Civic engine harness then?

Sorry but you will not make it work with just that obd1 JDM Engine harness. No way

Well.....would you ask least agree that you need to source yourself another 92-95 Civic engine harness then?

Sorry but you will not make it work with just that obd1 JDM Engine harness. No way

yea i guess you answered my question for me...so really all i need to get is an obd1 vtec harness and i can use the jdm obd1 h22 harness to make one harness out of both...so looks like all the research i did last night was correct...was just trying to see if there is an easier way...ill just make the harness!

What do you mean by "body harness"??

Do you have the plugs on both sides of the shock towers?
The ones that lead through the firewall and into the car
They hook up to the dash and ECU

If so...find yourself a 92-95 OBD1 Civic Engine harness and, depending in what you got going on, VTEC and Knock lines needs to be addressed. You'll use a lot of the JDM harness for that stuff but how it connects to the ECU too.

I'm all over the place with my thoughts. Just tell me as much as you can about the year and model of car it is. Body harness makes me think you might be missing more wiring than I initially thought.

Ok i have a 93 civic dx hatchback shell...i have headlights corner lights,with wiring run to them, i have a battery in the car with the hot wire and negative cables, the main fuse block under the hood, and there are plugs dangling near both strut towers...inside the car the whole dash is present ( which from what im told is not the original dash because it has sunroof and cruise control buttons and the car was not equipped with either) in the passanger kick panel the ecu is not in the car and the connectors that would normally plug into the ecu are dangling (three or four i believe) now i want to swap an h22a motor which is a JDM engine from Hmotorsonline.com (after reading reviews found jdmtigerjapanese.com is not a good company to deal with) i read in other posts that if you get a jdm engine the engine harness will be ran and setup for rhd car so will not reach on a left hand drive car (hence me originally saying i should get a usdm h22 engine harness) The engine im getting is not out of a donor its coming from and engine warehouse...with a lsd trans and p13 ecu and engine harness..............now for the big question which i just thought of while typing this long paragraph...the car has two key stickers in it
A. on the windshield there is a tempest racing sticker and thats a local shop here in maryland that tunes honda race cars...car has big brake kit and extended wheel studs...and b. on the glove box there is a sticker that is kinda funny it is like an airbag warning sticker and it says "this vehicle is equipped with a turbo...blah blha blah..." so putting 2 and 2 together plus with the different dash is it possible that this car already had the harness swapped to run a vtec motor? <<<referring to the above explained harness that is still in car

the reason i reference the stickers is because i believe this car was already built by somebody before... and the engine probably blew up and the car was sold off

If the plugs are dangling from the shock towers into the cabin.....thats good.

93 Dx so you need VTEC and Knock lines ran.

It may have been ran from the plug on the shock tower to the plug at the ECU but I doubt someone went through that hassle (although I did for the Knock Sensor in my B16A swap lol) it takes "donor" pins from a junkyard (got mine of a OBD1 Civic). There may be lines that were at least ran to the plugs at the ECU and are dangling in the engine bay. Either scenario will save you time and searching for "donor" pins
I wonder if JDM H22 has an Oil Pressure switch or not......my JDM B16A did but B18C's do not. Wont matter as long as you run a OBD1 JDM ECU for the H22.

You need to still get a OBD1 Civic Engine harness. I am pretty certain that the Prelude USDM Harness will not plug into your shock tower plugs. Sure.....it'll connect to the motor great but it also needs to connect to the chassis. And, even if it was plug 'n play trying to find a USDM OBD1 H22A1 engine harness will be much harder.

If your car is not already wired for VTEC to both shock tower and ECU plugs.....it is not worth looking for a OBD1 Civic VTEC engine harness (wont be a time saving advantage) But if it is there.....you will make things look clean much easier with the Civic OBD1 VTEC harness.

also just noticed too i dont know its of any significance but the car also has a sticker that says KEG on the left rear window now i dont wanna jump to conclusions but i wonder if this car previously had a k series motor in it...if so wouldnt the wiring that is there already be vtec ready?

i mean the car has extended wheel studs and big brake conversion...they left the exhaust on the car and it is 3 inch apexi...now i would assume they would not have went through all that trouble to not use a vtec engine...so im hoping they already did the work for me...and i am a service manager at an automotive shop so i can get a usdm vtec harness for whatever model i need fairly cheap on my wholesale account

and back to the note about the dash if the dash was swapped maybe thats the way they chose to do it by switching the whole harness and dash and everything to a vtec style so that the wiring would all match up?

If it was k series at one point.....you have even more work to do. And a K-swap uses none of the plugs you got (so it wouldn't make a difference in terms of VTEC). It wasn't K-swapped if the plugs are still dangling in the engine bay.

The dash and whole harness may have been switched to VTEC but not likely and definitely not worth betting on.

You need to investigate pin out diagrams so you can look for VTEC and Knock wires and if they are hooked up already. Try to learn some of this on your own and if you cannot find the info via google.....I will help you once you get the motor in and start wiring. FFsquad is a good place to look and many pin out diagrams have floated around a lot of these Honda forums.

thanks!! I appreciate all your help i did see pinout diagrams and if not i can most likely pull them on my mitchell one program at work...but i have seen them on forums...i will see if the vtec work has already been done...as far as what wiring is in the car...and if it turns out that its already done from the strut towers into cabin then i will find an obd1 civic vtec engine harness and make the necessary mods with the jdm h22 harness

fun fact...I havent seen this on the internet anywhere and in any of my research until i talked with a honda tuner...if youre running hondata you only need vtec wiring run at pin a4

Back