EG hatch swap questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
I have done the usual search, but I can't find my answers.

I have a 1992 eg hatch and it has the wonderfully fuel efficient d15 with the vtec-e in it. Unfortunately it has 165k on the motor and is about to die. So I'm perplexed with a few newer questions.

With gas prices on the dramatic rise, I began to ponder what to swap into the hatch, which is my daily driver (about 75-100 miles a day). My original plan was to do a B18C swap and a small turbo. But now I'm starting to wonder what I should do. I want some pep to the motor, but it's not a race car.

So my questions are

A)Should I just toss in a sohc vtec and leave it for daily? Should I change trannys? the d15 gearing is horrible.
B)Should I go B series and leave it NA? if so, Which swap, LS/b16/or/b18c
C)how much gas mileage will I lose if i decide to do a turbo or sc?
D)what are the usual gas mileages of the above motors?

In my b16(a2) 95 coupe (usually full of shit+passenger) I average about 25-34mpg, really depends on how many times i start it.
I have averaged as low as 23mpg and had as good as 49mpg.
I would go b16 and get an LS 5th gear.

Your gas mileage won't be that bad running a B18C with a turbo and a proper tune. If your daily commute is mostly highway then you'll be fine because once you get up to highway speeds you won't be in boost which will reduce fuel consumption. Turbo cars aren't terrible on gas, the problem comes when you run in boost all the time because you'll love the way it pulls. :)

i got a eg hatchy wit a b18 in it wit a mild built on the motor cams hedder intake p&p and i drivemy car about 300 mile a day i am a currier so i am all over the place and i am really happy wit the milage i am gettin wit it idk number on it but it is alot better then i thought it would be

Back