Eg Reborn In My Paint Both(chet)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lol.. yea i just grapped a fuckin stack of those free newspaper things i think its called the Auto Mall. I just went up and grabbed about 20 ppl were lookin at me all weird.lol

Paragus, how manny cans did you use? Eight dollars buys like two cans i belive.

Zee

Calesta, I am in Del Rio, Texas and get all my paint work done in Mexico, I had my Cobra painted there and am getting ready to take my hatch over for paint. They are slow but do excellent work...cheap. Less than a grand. My friend just took his explorer there (he roled it being stupid) they are replacing the top and fixing everything as well as paint for 1600.00. Dallas is about 8 hours so it may not be worth it. Thouhgt I would throw that out there.....for everyone.

Originally posted by koi_killa@Feb 26 2003, 01:01 PM
Paragus, how manny cans did you use? Eight dollars buys like two cans i belive.

Zee

i used 4 cans, and i still got paint in 3 of them. I didnt use them till they were empty, a lot of the times the nozzle clogged up before it was empty. So i would just skip to another can. They were like $1.87 a can at wal-mart.

paragus, are you going to do paint later? If you keeped it that way it would be a major sleeper :sleep: What would look really cool would be if you bought some flat white and made a cow skin civic.

yea i battled with the whole camo, cow, or just flat black. So im rocking this for now.. and i dont know if im going to keep it.. i really like it right now.. If i do paint it the right way, later on down the road. I'm gonna strip the whole car.. pull the motor, all the guts, everything. So it looks like it came from the factory in whatever color i decide to paint it. I dug up a few pics for everyone..

a camo EK
fdd1a40d.jpg

fdc22d33.jpg

a photochopped camo rex
fdc15c18.jpg

a cow EG
fd008e3e.jpg

a flat black rex
fdc9de71.jpg

I love the cow and camo look. I am not the biggest fan of the flat black rex because it looks like it is not complete.

I plan on painting my car after schools done this year but i need to make a decision. Its black right now and i was thinking of dark blue but i think it would look good also in another coat of black when the black projectors and black clear corners come in. Hmm......... big decision time. Any opinions would be welcome. The car is a 93 civic si coupe. I also plan on getting a set of black rims, when the price is right.

ok im a lil confused. i see flat black cars like that all the time, and i always thought that it was just primered black. is that what you guys did or did you just use regular spray paint? and paragus you said you only used 1 can of paint? how big are the cans? i dont think a can the size of a spray paint can could cover a whole car. please excuse if my questions sound dumb to you. i seriously want to know whats up. cause my car is 3 colors right now cause nothing is painted, and i really dont have money to get a paint job. now im interested in how you did your 8 dollar paint job paragus. what all was needed, the steps you took, and yada yada yada. also for colorpros i have some rust on my rear fender and im pretty sure you dont just paint over it. i think the rust has actually eaten a small hole in the metal, and also i have some rust bubles (rust underneath paint) and i was wondering what would be the best ways to prep these areas before painting so that its smooth and like it was never there when i repaint it. also paragus did you clear coat anything? and if you did use spray paint how do you keep areas like the door handle from the paint rubbing off. thanks.

Your going to have to cut the rust out and replace it w/ a patch panel(new metal) Only way to get rid of rust.Common problem w alot of older hondas.Fix them all the time.There is no short cut around it.

hmm in the next few months, im looking for someone to primer car some really wild color. how much would you charge to do colored primer for a whole car??

btw that Civic looks fuckin SIC!!! i like it!!

dig that camo EK hatch too :D

PRIMER IS FINER!!

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Feb 26 2003, 07:43 PM
GSRCRXsi... is the rust happening around your rear weel well?

yea thats where it is

but colorpros, i thought you could sand it sown and put in some body filler or something? i remmeber hearin that somewhere.

b20- Thanks. The money I save on the job will be spent getting down there though, so yeah not too feasible. :)

I can handle the flat black on the CRX- it doesn't look that bad...or just get a cheap job somewhere. I'm sure I'll find a hookup in Dallas before too long.

Originally posted by colorpros@Feb 26 2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks.$400 where are you located?

right now in Fort Wayne, Indiana but moving to Virginia in June so it will be after i move when i would be able to do it.

trust me.. you just want to get it fixed. or else it will keep coming back and back and back..lol. And to answer your questions GSRCRX. There are a few ways to achieve the flat black look. I chose the Krylon way. And i didnt say i only used one can of paint. I said only one got empty. The rest are still atleast 1/4 full. What would happen with the cans, was when i was painting the nozzle would clog up and i would just swap cans, then i started swapping nozzles. But i used 4 cans. Now im still not done, but i think i have enough.

Now as far as what i did.
I'm not a painter, i dont consider myself a pro, and i dont make my living off painting cars..but what I've heard is that spray paint isnt a paint that seals... which makes sense IMO. So if you were to sand your car down to bare metal and paint it with spray paint, it would rust because the paint wouldnt seal like a normal paint job you would get at colorpros shop. So for this reason i didnt sand down to bare metal, nor did i even get to the primer in the majority of the places. I just scuffed up the paint enough so that the spray paint would have something to grip and the regular paint under it would protect the metal under it. So sand your whole car down just scuff your paint up. I used a 220 grit paper w/ a sander, it gets real dusty so do it in a open area, drive way or something like that. This would be a good time to tape off your rubber seals and shit. you dont want the sander catching them. Then wipe down the area and look for the shiny spots where you skipped or missed or whatever, then sand those spots.

Now that the car is sanded, i used a automotive laqour thinner from a car paint shop (that a friend had) and rubbed the whole car down. This cleans the body up, again.. do this in a VENTILATED AREA.. the shit is strong and will fuck you up. If you see shiney spots after cleaning the surface, sand it again, then clean it again, repeat till your car is dull. After the area is all cleaned up i took parts off and taped stuff off and started painting. i put several coats on it.

wait till dry.. a day, more, whatever. This is where I am right now, and im going to be doing this weekend. This weekend im going back over my car and wetsanding it with 800 grit. This will help get some of the painters and spray cans errors in the paint job and give it that smooth flat look. And then after im done with this im probably gonna go over it again, then wetsand it again and see how it looks.

CLIFF STEPS:
1. Sand car down, just scuff up paint, dont sand to bare metal
2. Clean sanded areas down, then wipe with a good quality automotive laqour thinner
3. Tape off, remove parts, and paint.
4. Let dry.
5. Wetsand painted area.
6. Repeat 3,4, and 5 till happy with car.

Materials: (that i used)
220 grit sandpaper (to sand the car)
laquor thinner (clean the car)
4 cans of Krylon Ultra-Flat Black Camo Paint (The camo isnt necessary, just use what you want, flat black , black, ultra flat, whatever)
800 grit sandpaper (to wetsand the car)
masking tape and newspapers (self-explanitory)

And to answer the last few questions.. i didnt use and i dont plan on using any sealer. And my door handles are fine. They arent rubbing off, why would they?? And if they even did, who cares.. shake the can up and apply then your done :lol:

Hope this answers all your questions.. if not, just ask away.

Back