ek Crank position sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killercannible

I just had an idea, on obd1 b series motors the crank position sensor is in the distributor. On obd2 that sensor is located on the oil pump. When i discovered this problem i quikly converted to obd1 to solve the problem(using a b16 sir2). Well, emissions is up and i will probably have to go back to obd2 at least for emissions so i was wondering if it was possible to tap into the crank position sensor in the distributor using the obd2 wiring. What i mean is can i extend the harness meant to go to the cps on the oil pump to the distributor and splice it into the wires for the cps in the distributor? Any thoughts?

I dont believe that would work. That is the crank angle sensor, and only the obd2 engines use it. The only way I know of to hook that up is to have one of the newer oil pumps with the mounting location, and the right crank gear for it..

They are 2 different sensors. OBD1 has a CAMSHAFT position sensor in the distributor, whilst OBD2 had the camshaft position sensor in the distributor and a CRANKSHAFT position sensor mounted on the oil pump. You cannot tap into the camshaft position sensor and expect to get a readable signal for the crankshaft position sensor.

Back