ek type -r with a bit of blue smoke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

was up guys, hope you can help... my itr head came back from the machine shop i had new valve seals and the head cleaned.. the head is now in and still a bit of smoke (blue) comes out when i gun it a lil i know what the black smoke is it is a bit rich but i thought the seals would have taken care of the lil bit of blue smoke ...need to know from you guys what you think before i buy the piston ring kit for it...thanks

its true...i use the terms interchangeably like they do the same thing...and i really shouldnt.

Most of the time a compression test does tell you though.. fwiw.

its true...i use the terms interchangeably like they do the same thing...and i really shouldnt.

No, you shouldn't. ;) To me, they're very different. There's SO much more you can diagnose with a leakdown test compared to a compression test- but both are important, and one doesn't ever completely replace the other.

thanks for all your info ...compression test showed it was the rings so we had new ones put in.. but the guy said that now i will only smoke black smoke cuz i have a killer program and it is hella rich ...anyone know some specific # that i can plug into my chip...to make it run hard and fast but still not be so rich.. i think im loosing most of my power from the richness..thanks:confused:

You're definitely losing power if you're running rich.. but you are also burning up your O2 sensors and your cat converter as well. What engine management are you running?

i dont know what mngnt im running my buddy took off the chip i had that had really rich and the nunmbers were out of wack.. and he put a rewritable chip and on his laptop he played with some #'s i.e. v-tech and rev limiter and all type of shit he said it will run hard but we still need to do sevreal test runs....thats what i ment by do anyone have a program for a b18c that is a killer plus not so rich ...cuz i am so tempted to wipe the chip and go back to stock...thanks:mellow:

a little GREY smoke when running rich is not a big issue. it happends as you get closer to 12.5-13:1 the smoke gets darker, and is just draining your power.

The map I had on my prelude you could see a little bit of grey smoke when you were really on it, but other than that it was fine. That was tuned between 13.5 and 13.8:1 the entire way up the rev band (richening up at the very top).

to give you an idea i just went outside turn the ek on waited a lil bit then i reved it up 2 times and went to the back and then i saw a 3 foot line of black powder from the tip out 3 feet plus some dripping of what i think is water off of the tip...is that rich or what...for my car to spit black shit out (black suet/some drips of water) after driving for a bit the water stops but the black smoke is always i gun it...I could never rev it up at a red light cuz i would owe the guy behind me a carwash...

The water is normal it's just condensation in the exhaust.. it does sound like you are running very rich however.

Back