EK w/ LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
I just recently ordered an obd2 LS swap for my ek hatch from jdm-online.com. They called about 2 days ago, and asked me a few questions and I ended up getting an SiR transmission out of them, so now I have a complete swap (or so I think) with a strong transmission. I plan on boosting it, say ~10 psi or so on stock internals.
Now, my question is, will I need anything else..

I got the rear mounting bracket from a 99-00 civic si.
I got the throttle cable from an LS.
And i got the top & bottom radiator hoses from an LS.
I will not be running A/C so there is no need for the Del Sol A/C bracket.

Anything else I need? Im tearing into my car within the next few weeks.

Yeah, I just found that out, but a friend of mine had one from his teg lying around, and he just gave it to me.

Anyway, I have another question. Final drive ratio on this SiR tranny is 4.40.. thats pretty short. Think it would be ok for boost? Its the LSD trans...

well me myself i like longer gears for boost

If you were going to boost it you could of held on to the tranny I think, I could be wrong. I guess it all depends on how you are going to race it. Drag or rolling pulls.

yeah i know the longer gears are better for boost.. I just hear that the LS tranny isnt too strong.. i can always pick up another ls tranny if i really need to.

Like I said I have an ls tranny and is holding up just fine and i beat on it. I also do the occasional gear grind,MY BAD. Well whatever, if you cant find em grind em.

haha, yeah. well i get that with my d16y7. On mile 170,000 with the same stock clutch, the only thing thats different is the timing belt. Its really pitiful lol. Second and third grind whenever i get on it.. really sad :(

anyway, well maybe ill get my hands on an LS tranny and have my work build it. I work at a Mustang shop, but there's a guy that I work with that builds honda trannys and motors for kicks on the side.

Is your LS boosted?

No. I have the b18b1 non- vtec motor with nothing more than an intake, exhaust, and sts. It just got a head gasket but its still on its way out. If i have enough money the next thing going into that car is going to be a gsr. If funds allow it. My car couldnt handle boost, not this late in its life. Its fully rebuilt but
i think the block might be stripped out. I have to wait and see.

ah i see.. yea i'm going to drive on the stock LS for a while.. then rebuild and boost it. I dont like drving a boosted car on stock internals, it kinda makes me nervous.

I know what you mean. Although I heard somewhere before that the ls stock internals arent to bad for boost. It had something to do with flat top pistons or something like that. I dont exactly remember. Anyway, merry christmas.

Merry christmas to you too!
Anyway, yeah the stock LS internals are supposedly among the best stock internals for boost, low compression, and yea i think the flat top has something to do with it.
Depending on how well I save, the turbo may come first. Simply because I have never driven a boosted car before, and getting used to it might be a little tough. Its better for me to learn on 10 psi, instead of 18 or so on a built motor.

Those motors stand at 9.2 compression stock. You could run I think 10 - 12 lbs of boost all day long safetly. Maybe 13-14 for short periods. It might be pushing it. You wanna hear something funny, my name is matt too. Where are you from? Turbonetics has a kit for our cars for about 3,000. Go to sport compact only.com and check it out.

Haha, I'm from spokane, washington.
I was thinking of running 10 on it daily, and maybe 12 at the track or something like that, just to be safe.
I've seen that kit, but i dont think it comes with fuel management?

shorter gearing = faster acceleration.

all motor, boosted, juiced, or otherwise. anything else, is just wrong.

the only thing i worry about is traction..
and yes spokane has probably the worst roads to drive on, no matter what you drive. It's a risk buying any sort of rims here, hit a pothole and you'll need a road map to get out of it.
Funny thing is, anything in the 14's will pretty much dominate our streets lol. I think i've seen maybe two or three sub 13 second cars on the road here, and one of em is my buddy's 92 Sentra SE-R with a JDM SR20DE swap.. and a 100 shot..
yea our streets are pretty sad lol

Traction, you need that too. An ls vtec or a turbo ls would be shit for traction even with good suspension. A friend of mine has a gsr hatch and he cant grab on drag radials. Do it from a roll, you will whoop ass.

Yeah, the only problem is, drag racing doesnt start from a roll lol.
I have drag launch springs lying around somewhere, back in the days of my d16 build lol..
I'm not so sure how good they are but im sure those woudl help at least a little. Our local track SUCKS, even Scoobies slip in third gear. HELL, i was chirping third gear with a 106 hp d16y7, all stock except for an axle back. LOL

Back