Ek with a 97 itr swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SiLenTSpeeDEk9

I just did a 97 itr motor swap in my ek a few weeks ago and i everything seems to be running fine except for the fact that when i drive at night all my lights dim off and on like there is a loose connection. I asked the shop who did the swap and they said that it is a common problem with their ek swaps. I checked the voltage while driving and the alternator stops and starts charging off and on. Does anyone know what it might be? or has anyone had the same problem? :huh:

It shouldnt start and stop charging, it should mantain between 12.75-13 volts consistantly.

sounds like theres something wrong with the alternator or the wiring to it

that is definatly not "normal"

Go to your local acura/honda dealer and ask to look at the ETM for your car, if they let you, then you can see exactly which wires do what. this book is like the bible for honda electrical problems

There should be 12.7-14.4 volts at all times while driving. I'de hook up a voltmeter to your battery and take it for a test drive under the same conditions your experiencing the problem. If the charging lamp is coming on when voltage drops then it is not your "I circuit". If it does drop below specs and the lamp doesn't turn on then check for an open or short to ground in this "I circuit". Also check your headlamp wires for a short to ground.

The circuit will be running from the altenator to the instrument pannel, usualy it's the smaller of the 3 wires coming out of the altenator. It would probably be a good idea at this point to get a chiltons manual for a 92-95 civic/94-01 integra But first check if there is even a bulb in the instriment pannel, this may be the shops way to cover there tracks when they have a wiring or charging problem.

Back