ELD PROBLEM....need help...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Brian1991

91 hatch with a b16 swap, keep throwing cel code 20- eld (electrical load detector) and this is what ive done as far as troubleshooting and im lost,

pulled 3 pin eld harness from fuse box in engine bay, checked for voltage between black and yellow and ground, which goes to main fuse box under dash, good i think between 4-5 volts, and green and red and ground, which goes to ecm, or pcm, NO volts, checked the wire and nothing wrong with it and the pin connections good, so i replaced entire fuse box and nothing,

im lost here and dont know what to do or try...

code 20 usually means your alternator is not doing its' job - not providing enough power

so what replace the alternator or what, but what gets me is my car drives fine and idles fine, just when i put it into neutral while driving or slowing down to a light or somthing my rpms drop to 200 and then go right back up, its not a serious problem but i just want that light to go out and i did the test i have to find the link for it to show ppl what it was i did as far as the test but all wires are good except im getting no volts from my green/red wire from my eld to my pcm/ecm/ecu, and i should be getting volts thats why i dont think its my alt. , because my charging system works fine ususally when you alt is going bad you system wont charge when you run your car....i dunno i could be wrong

Yes if your alternator is bad then you will get no charge. In my Haynes tech book code 20 is Electrical load detector - possible open or grounded circuit in ecu wiring. So it sounds to me like you have a short weather it is a component or the wiring harness I don't know.

checked both of them though my wires and harness are all fine, and replace the entire fuse box twice, i dunno i give up, it runs, idles, drives fine, ill just have to deal with the light on, but i have a switch i can turn my cel light on and off but i dont like to use it, oooo well

Back