1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical Accord ON-OFF Gremlin

Discussion in 'Accord' started by splacker, Dec 9, 2011.

1. splacker

splacker New Member

On my 91 Accord EX 4 door sedan, the alternator intermittently stops charging for very brief periods. When it happens, the tach and speedo go to zero, and various other electrical items go on and off. Periods last from a couple of seconds to about a minute.

The alternator was replaced, but it is still happening. It will never do this for the reapir shop, just for me on my way to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. GlassHeadlights

GlassHeadlights West West Yall

Our old '90 Accord had a similar problem. At stop lights the idle would drop and the battery light would come on. Rebuilt the alternator and no luck. Maybe load test the battery? Check for bad grounds?

3. splacker

splacker New Member

Thanks for the ideas. All the grounds have been detached, cleaned and re-tightened. The battery is less than one year old.

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

What voltage is the alternator putting out at idle with loads off? Idle with loads on? Part throttle with loads off? Part throttle with loads on? How many CCA's are present at the battery, and what's the static voltage of the battery (both after sitting for a few hours)? What's the resistance value from the negative battery terminal to any given point on the chassis?

5. splacker

splacker New Member

Thanks. I'll check.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted