Electrical problem. Need some help. 90 hatch b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleeper88

My mom thinks i'm cool
Car 1990 hatch
B16a1 swap obd0
I bought the car about 3 months ago, so i dont know how the wire was done and so on. Car was running fine with the head unit cutting out once in awhile. I go to hook up a amp and a sub(the amp ended up not working so i just left all the wire ran in the car unplugged. I slide the headunit back in). I take the car out and then i go to turn on the light and the head unit cut off completly the lights dim, head lights flicker, i cant use the high beams with the turn signals, temp gauge is messed up, i hit the bracks and the lights flicker, without the lights on the turn signals turn on real fast and then slow down to normal rate. (with the lights on)The car turned off completely, no lights, turn the key and there is nothing there, the only thing that is lit up was the e-brake light faintly(even with the key off), i had to let the car roll a lil bit while working the key until it finally catches something(not sure what). I had to get it home someway so i kept goign with that until i got it home, it did that to me about 5 times in the 10 mile trip home. Car starts up and runs fine but when i drive it with the head lights on thats when it shuts off. When i go to give it hell it seems at a certain rpm it seems like its starves the fuel(like if you dont let your car warm up first and it hits v-tec and it sputters) This only happens when i have to headlights on. But there is still something taking away power when i'm driving it during the day without the headlights.

Battery is good. I've tryed a new alternator, took the ground off the battery and put a volt meter on it and took out each fuse looking for a bad link, tryed different ecu, wiggled wires. I'm almost out of ideas. i need help and i know its got to be something so simple or easy to fix. I'm just getting fustrated and want to be able to drive it at night with out worrying about it. I appreciate your help and reading this long thread. I'm just trying to explain everthing. Thanks

Last edited:
bump, i got nothin. if it was my ride i'd cry because the wiring harnesses are a PITA. good luck.

check your master relay, in the under the hood fuse box, its possible that its comming loose, also I would go ahead and rewire your headunit, the ground may be bad or you could have a hot wire touching bare metal somewhere. Have you checked any of the fuses to see if anything is blown?

I've checked ever fuse. I'll pull the headunit out again and check that. Its prolly one lil bitch of a wire. It sucks when you dont wire it up and then you have to figure somebody elses mess. Just yesterday it shut off on me during the day(after i turned the key off and turned it back on there was nothing there like the starter wasn't working and then i had to let it roll backwards while working the key until the starter caught something) i should check the wires for the starter too. It just sucks when you have to be in the mood to work on it causs wiring is a bitch.

Back