1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical Question

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Slammed90Lude, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

So I bought a Millermatic 175. It states that it needs 1-phase 230volt power at 19.5 amps.

230V = 220 volts? Does that mean this welder just needs a 220 outlet? And if I wire a 220 outlet or have on wired in my house, will it be single phase?

Secondly, I was reading an install guide for a 220v receptacle and it says that depending on what your appliance; Some appliances only require two hot wires and a ground. In this case you can use two-wire cable, just be sure to color code the white wire as a hot wire. Other appliances require two hot wires, a ground wire and a neutral wire. In this case you need to use three-wire cable.

How the hell do i know?

2. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Always run a neutral, just in case you need it... Its worth it to spend the money now and do it once...

And yes, 230 = 220... 220 = twin 110 lines... 230 = twin 115's...

3. Slammed90Lude

4. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Just after I posted this, i went outside to clean my shed, opened up one of my cabinets that's been locked for a long time, and inside found a shit ton of 3 phase wiring & receptacles! ROFL! Score!

Not to mention a 60amp breaker... [​IMG]

5. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

6. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

score...just remember NEVER WIRE A BREAKER WITH IT CONNECTED TO POWER.....I still have burn marks on my fingers...Oh well, i was doing God's work. Kids in Brazil now have a church with lights :) Giggidy.

7. Slammed90Lude

:)

I already learned that lesson when I watched my girlfrien'ds brother change the heating element in their electric stove with the unit still plugged in.

Pushed him back a few inches and ripped his finger wide open. Pretty nasty shit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted