Electrical Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

So I bought a Millermatic 175. It states that it needs 1-phase 230volt power at 19.5 amps.

230V = 220 volts? Does that mean this welder just needs a 220 outlet? And if I wire a 220 outlet or have on wired in my house, will it be single phase?

Secondly, I was reading an install guide for a 220v receptacle and it says that depending on what your appliance; Some appliances only require two hot wires and a ground. In this case you can use two-wire cable, just be sure to color code the white wire as a hot wire. Other appliances require two hot wires, a ground wire and a neutral wire. In this case you need to use three-wire cable.

How the hell do i know?

Always run a neutral, just in case you need it... Its worth it to spend the money now and do it once...

And yes, 230 = 220... 220 = twin 110 lines... 230 = twin 115's...

Just after I posted this, i went outside to clean my shed, opened up one of my cabinets that's been locked for a long time, and inside found a shit ton of 3 phase wiring & receptacles! ROFL! Score!

Not to mention a 60amp breaker... :wink:

score...just remember NEVER WIRE A BREAKER WITH IT CONNECTED TO POWER.....I still have burn marks on my fingers...Oh well, i was doing God's work. Kids in Brazil now have a church with lights :) Giggidy.

:)

I already learned that lesson when I watched my girlfrien'ds brother change the heating element in their electric stove with the unit still plugged in.

Pushed him back a few inches and ripped his finger wide open. Pretty nasty shit.

Back