Electronic rust protection, gimmick or does it actually work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kmoallem

Hello,

I was wandering if anyone has experimented with the 'CounterAct' electronic rust protection device. I've been told by friends that it should theoretically work, apparently it's a relatively old technology that's been in use by snow plows and road salters for a number of years … and you never see those rusty (at least not where I live).

Having recently purchased an 18 year old CRX with very little rust, I kinda feel obligated to keep the car as rust free as I can … and this will be difficult in my area, with the long winters and all the road salt. I've already sprayed the wheel wells and the underside with rubberized asphalt and I regularly pressure wash the salt and ice built-up from the car.

I was wandering if this device is the real deal or just a money-wasting gimmick and if you have any rust preventing suggestions for me.

Cheers

ask a question like this and you are going to get both sides of the story.
I have seen cars with the rust evader (which is basically the same thing), and they have rust on them.
I have also seen cars withthe same rust evader and they don't have rust on them.
I guess it's all about how you take care of your car and how bad the rust is to start with because no matter what you do if there is already rust, then its not going to stop until you cut it all out and fix the problem.
Remember, rust is cancer for cars

another thing to think about is if those electronic rust protectors worked like they should, then no one would have a rusty car.

Thanks for the input so far!

I did a little bit of research ... so I'll just answer my own question. Electronic rust protectors are a money wasting gimmick and here’s why:

Electronic rust protectors use a technique called Cathodic Protection where a flow of electrons is forced through the metal which brings it closer to an immune state and reduces the metal’s corrosion potential. Cathodic Protection can only work if there is a complete electrical circuit to bring back electrons. That’s why these devices can work for boats, bridges, pipelines and etc., since there is a pool of ions surrounding the metal to conduct electricity and to close the circuit. So, unless you bury your car or submerge it in water, these electronic rust protectors cannot possibly work for cars (remember that all the metal to be protected needs to be surrounded by free electrons so it’s not as simple as grounding your car).

I got most of my information from this page:
Electronic rust prevention

Cheers,

My friend of 20 years bought rust evader, and her Dodge Stratus, is rust free 100% to the entire vehicle. It's simply electrolisis, being using the metal chemically to repell rust.
Works great. In commercial fishing they also use "zinks" as rust evader, again, the zink reacts with the steel fish cages, which repells rust from starting.
Thus, either buy the rust evader, or buy zinks, and start screwing them to your car.

Back