element...bad idea?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

punkyjewster41

Ive been reading this site for about a year but rarely post, anyway i just wanna know what you guys think/know about the element. Im in pretty dire need of a new car ( 95 ford probe 130k+ miles = pile of crap) and i was looking at the element and it seemed pretty practical, save for the crap gas mileage. I wanted something with honda reliability plus something i could fit all my music equipment in, also i move around alot so the interior room would come in handy, and the mp3 jack caught my attention so in all it seemed like a good idea. Some people say its just a sucky car, probably because they dont like the looks, but ive heard others say its a good deal. Ive looked around on the internet but havent found much info on it. Ive also been considering a scion tc, but im torn. Tear me a new one if you guys think the element is totally ghey, just wanted to know what you guys's opinion was, thanks.

Ghey. :vomit:

Honestly, I'd look into a Scion Xb. As boxy and disproportional as they are, I think they're really cool. Good mileage, not a LOT smaller than an Element, and a lot better looking :p

Plus they start at 16k :thumbsup:

My parents actually own an Element. Butt ugly IMO, but its a nice car. Kinda slow, and the gas millage isn't that good (areo dynamics of a brick, heavy, and is an SUV at heart) The Inteior is the best part about the car. The seats are water proof, so if you leave your windows down, it doesn't matter. It doesn't have carpet, so if you spill coffee, just wipe it up. Makes cleaning MUCH easier. The back seat is pretty cool too, in that you can just fold them flat to make a bed, and if you ever need room, fold them flat, then relase them from the floor and they piviot and attach to the side walls.

Doors are cool with the clam sheel. Down side is blind spots are kinda big. Same thing with the a-pillar (huge). Clam shell rear hatch is nice too. For an SUV its not bad. I sure that it would fucking blow off road, but in the snow, it was fun as hell to drive. I found snow drifts from plows that were about 2 feet high, and I could just run right over them, with zero effort. One day when it snowed a good 10 inches and the streets had not been plowed yet, I had a shit load of fun going around corners gassing it, having the back wheels spin a little and "drifting"

It kinda makes me want a Scobie Impreza RS (98-01?) with Tein Dirt suspension and some sweet snow tires and have fun with that.

also :moved: wrong forum.

It's great if I owned a SUV/boxy thing. you can hose out the inside when you go to the beach, fold the seats down to fit in surf and skim boards, and all that good shit. Better than topless sol with a longboard sticking out of the passenger side :)

Well....not to dis a honda product...but whats you price range?

My buddies mom got a forester, has the same engine as the STI, and is a super sleeper...plus the boost is good....or look into a CRV...has almost everything you need for Honda Comfort...then again the box of the Scion is not to bad, I saw a couple that was pimp....

Then again...if your on a budget..the old Toyota Mini vans were sweet...I had two of them, and mechanically...I never had a problem. One van was fully gutted and had my scuba gear and a moped in it, and all my camping stuff, while the other one was loaded with seats and in-car intertainment system...both were great vans, and got good milage....some people here car them MoonVans...but I don't see the corralation for it.

you can put a 5MGE in a moonvan.

Seriously, I use a 1987 Toyota 4Runner. It gets (or got, before mine was run into the ground) 30 mpg. It's SUPER slow though.

If you're a honda fanatic, grab a 1999 CRV. I remember you couldn't get NEAR these things only a year ago, now everyone seems to have forgotten about them. As far as swaps, the B20B is really the best you can do, but a stroked B20 with a supercharger might be keen. It would cost about $5000 to get done, but you'll have a mover and a shaker.

-> Steve

thanks for the replies guys. i went looking into the tc today and found it has about as good gas mileage as the element ( 21-22mpg) and it doesnt have nearly as much interior room being a coupe/sports car, so i dunno, im planning on going to test drive some cars this weekend.

i drove an element, i think there actually really sweet. my uncle was able to fit a computer with a touch screen monitor right in the front console with no problems. the vehicle may look ugly but, they still ride like a dream.

not to change topic: AJ did you just say the forrester has the 2.5liter STi motor???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Originally posted by Airjockie+Aug 6 2004, 05:22 PM-->
My buddies mom got a forester, has the same engine as the STI, and is a super sleeper...plus the boost is good....or look into a CRV...has almost everything you need for Honda Comfort...then again the box of the Scion is not to bad, I saw a couple that was pimp....
[post=373585]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by JDMilan@Aug 10 2004, 08:35 PM
not to change topic: AJ did you just say the forrester has the 2.5liter STi motor???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
[post=375097]Quoted post[/post]​

TurboMirage
@Aug 12 2004, 06:13 AM
all models do.

Available Engines:
168-hp, 2.5-liter H-4
210-hp, 2.5-liter H-4
[post=375886]Quoted post[/post]​

No, the STi is equipped with an EJ257 engine (300 horsepower, bigger turbo, better cams, better heads, big intercooler, etc). The Legacy GT's are equipped with the EJ255 engine (250 horsepower, decent intercooler). The turbo Foresters are also equipped with the EJ255 engine (detuned to 210 horsepower, small-ass intercooler. About the only thing the three cars have in common is that they're 2.5-liter turbo engines.

Please don't get them confused. :)

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
Zero to 30 mph: 1.3
40 mph: 2.6
50 mph: 3.6
60 mph: 5.3
70 mph: 6.9
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.8
100 mph: 15.0
110 mph: 19.5
120 mph: 26.7