Elementary Header Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

catofsprock

I've heard that since I live in Montana I should use a stainless header, as opposed to a ceramic. I was just curious why this was, weather conditions? Would a ceramic header not last as long or not perform as well here? Again, I was just looking for some backing.

Yeah, basically ceramic headers are not able to dissapate heat as well as higher quality stainless ones, the are a better investment and will last you longer

I used to have a DC Ceramic 4-1 header back in the day and that thing "POS" rusted slightly on me. Then one of my buddies (for some reason) went out and bought one also had the same damn thing happen to him. I think it rusted because I live only 10 minutes from the beach so the salt content in the air will be higher than Montana. Personally, if you are worried about your header getting banged up or rusted to shit, then if I were you I would just get a JDM 4-1 R header, wrap it up, and get the upper and lower heat shields for it. That way under hood temps will be down, you will have a monster 2.5inch collector, and best of all it will look factory!!!!!!!!!! sleepy sleepy.

Milan

dont use the lower heat sheild ... get the skid plate for it ... the header hangs kinda low and is easy to dent... the skid plate ONLY works for the JDM ITR header though .... is only 40-50 vs the ITR header at 350+

shit, i have never heard of a skid plate, hey esolsi, could you reply with some more info like possibly a link on where to find a picture of the skidplate and who makes it? thanks,

Milan

more than happy to :)

i have the race version skid plate on my ITR setup... its got a few scratches on it ... so i know its helped a little at least :)

you can get it from http://www.fastlineperformance.com

here are some pics:

race version:

bg_race.jpg

bg_r_installed1.jpg

bg_r_installed2.jpg

bg_heatshield.jpg

bg_protected4.jpg

this is what can happen without it :

sm_damage3.jpg

:(

***EDIT*** this skid plate ONLY works on the OEM JDM ITR header from Honda.... other headers (spoon, mugen, DC sports, etc) do not have the mounting points for the skidplate (actually for the heat sheild but this replaces the lower sheild).... so if you have another header, unless you plan to do some welding this is not going to work for you

no problem ... ive found that not many people know about this ... so i try to whore it out for them every chance i get :)

at the very least it looks good and its cheap insurance :)

Back