Elimination oil squirters?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
My builders recommending that I plug my oil squirters in my block. I'm kinda caught off guard because I never heard of it benefitting your engines performance by elimatating them. I'll just copy & paste his statment....

"no need to run them, the only time you want to squirt oil at the pistons is when they are running on the edge of melting and the only way to get the heat out is by letting it transfer into the oil shooting at it from the bottom, i.e., insane amounts of boost. otherwise you want to keep oil off the cylinder wall as much as possible or the rings work hard to scrape it off, it glazes on the cylinder wall and squeezes its way up into the combustion chamber, causing detonation."

This maybe particularly for my build but was wondering if anyone out there has any insight on this? I was gonna get the GE plugs.

Build consists of..

B16 head
Extensive headwork
Milled to quench pads
CTR cams
ITR springs

GSR block
ITR pistons
ITR rods
ARP rod bolts & head studs
bla bla bla

tell your builder you want to keep the oil squirters. they help with lubrication at high rpms. its best to keep them, because your pistons WILL be on the verge of melting without them.

the squirters are more for cooling then for lubrication. since youre running stock cast pistons, id keep them. if you were running forged pistons id say go ahead and plug em.

plugging them does help though, it increases oil pressure. but i dont know what youre builder is talking about with oil glazing on the walls and getting into the combustion chamber...

Yea. I trust him & he knows his shit. I'm just caught off guard because I never heard of doing this for benefits.

i would assume its along the same reasoning as a dry sump. less resistance (the oil itself) more power.

With your cast pistons I would recommend using them. You aren't going to gain much with your setup by running plugs. And you are gaining the cooling for the cast piston. Only helps to plug with forged pistons.

Back