Elio motors?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
http://www.eliomotors.com/

Not bad. I'm used to the idea of sacrificing looks and manhood for fuel economy already. This might be some fun. At that price I'm very tempted. I was recently considering looking into a gently used most recent GTO, but this would be pretty nice to have. Then again I would lose all the hauling capacity that I have with the Insight :rimshot:

Really though. I couldn't haul shit and would need a bigger car. CB7 or a GTO would take care of that though.

I like the idea of it and I definitely like that they offer an man pedal.

Would I buy one, probably not, although it would save me a ton of money.

Anticipated Production Date Sept. 2015.

you're a little ways off from this being reality. Do you want it now?

are they even street legal?

not really a good choice in New England for an only car. if you live in a state that is essentially flat with no snow than i can see this car being useful. Might make a good commuter car.

Looks like a Can Am Spyder with a shell

So the nerd in me checked out some of the finer details and found this quite interesting. It looks like they have a "just in time" delivery model, which also helps lower the cost and blah blah blah, nobody cares because you're more normal than me.

"Once you order, you’re going to want it in your hands as soon as humanly possible. How’s 24 hours sound? That’s right. We’re talking clean and ready with all the extras – waiting at the Retail Center – within 24 hours of your order."

Hah. I doubt you get much choice on what you get then.

We do JIT and its like 8-14 weeks for standard spec stuff.

Protip: don't tug too hard on the plastic bumper covers on the sides of the new f150. Or if it belongs to someone you hate. Tug on them a little.

As small as it is and as simple as it seems, I could see it being easily and quickly assembled. That doesn't bother me any. It would seem the legal definition of this vehicle is a bit of a state to state judgement call. Which would make moving to a new state tough I would imagine, but it seems to fall under the definition of a motorcycle in most cases. I'm pretty sure it's 50 state street legal. They wouldn't be in business very long if not. I would like it simply for the fact that it doesn't, from what I've read have a hybrid drivetrain. Which drops cost of ownership.

been keeping an eye on these guys for about 2 years or so
cool concept and i like the idea a lot
i am hoping that they do well because i would like to see them expand and offer a diesel model :D

i am hoping that they do well because i would like to see them expand and offer a diesel model :D

you'll get all electric before diesel. too many government discounts and the mass populous still thinks diesels "are too smelly". Thanks Mercedes.

I'd say that diesel is getting more accepted these days.

Audi/BMW/VW are starting to really I think break ground with killing the idea of loud/stinky diesel. I know I wouldn't mind a tdi many time.

i don't smell anything with my BMW diesel or my buddies 2013 TDi Jetta

i don't smell anything with my BMW diesel or my buddies 2013 TDi Jetta

I'd say that diesel is getting more accepted these days.

Audi/BMW/VW are starting to really I think break ground with killing the idea of loud/stinky diesel. I know I wouldn't mind a tdi many time.

you two aren't the mass populous. if consumers had the choice of buy an electric car and a diesel car for the same price, they will choose electric.

I don't think it will be too difficult. I've seen the Hyundai plant in China. Also, there isn't much customization for these things. And the new Raptor has a 20 hour TaT.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-amazing-20-hour-process-of-building-a-new-ford-f-15-1551269336

I believe it. We're probably in the single digit hours for assembly, but that's assembly. Nothing to do with sourcing/option engineering.

I just mean in the sense of sourcing anything sepcial. It'll all be cookie cutter.

you two aren't the mass populous. if consumers had the choice of buy an electric car and a diesel car for the same price, they will choose electric.

While you're probably almost correct, OEM's wouldn't be increasing diesel options if there wasn't an increased demand for efficient vehicles and a persuasion to diesel. The electric alternatives aren't decreasing right now.

CAFE is pushing it. adding diesel to the line up helps keep the taHoes and other stupid tanks for soccer moms from destroying fleet averages.

:withstupid:

I've been watching this stuff for a couple of years too. Also, I'd say these things are much more interesting than a prius or insight. However, they're still just "gearing up" for production.

$100 says they never sell more than 5000/year (for reference 50,000 Accords sold last month). The new car buying public is a fickle crowd. Space, refinement, safety ratings, and brand reputation are most important to people. In the remote chance that this does somehow take off, big car companies will lobby to make sure this is classified as a car. That means full emissions, and safety ratings. Which means expensive and heavy.

Back