Emissions question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SasSi

For those that don't know, Maryland has changed the way they do emissions inspections. For all 96+ cars, they now ONLY do an on-board diagnostic test. They don't put your car on the treadmill, hook it up to a sniffer, or even check the gas cap anymore. My car is due for emissions by the 26th and I'm wondering if anyone knows what will happen with my situation. I swapped in a JDM B16 SiR2 engine (94-95 EG6 Civic) & I was going to run my stock ecu, but of course it had a CEL & ran like crap. So I put in the OBDI ecu that came with the motor & the car ran better & had no CEL.

Here's my question: If they try to hook up their scanner under my dash, it will probably come up with a CEL since it's trying to read OBDII, when mine is really OBDI. Has anyone here with a swap had to go through emissions yet & if so what happened? If anyone, regardless of going through emissions, has any input please give it to me. I don't want my car to fail!!

Thanks!

I have not a clue, but maybe this question would do better in one of the hybrid forums. Nice engine swap there girl! :)

Thanks! I didn't really have much of a choice, though. I blew my first one up, so I needed a new one! :D

I always said if I blew it up, I would step up the motor. My ideal would've been an ITR motor, but since my insurance company was paying for it (but not my rental car) I only had so much to work with. My rental car cost more than my motor swap!!!! Even though I wanted to be irresponsible & get the ITR motor, I had to spend the extra money from the motor on my rental. :(

I really don't know. I was under the impression you're only supposed to swap in motors that came from your year or later, other wise its deemed illegal.

I hear ya. For years I have said that I would only upgrade my engine once the original one went. But my Si just keeps going and going, I think just to frustrate me. lol. j/k! I love my Si just the way she is. Well you have many years to get your more perfect car. You're still in college, right? I think that you're doing real good in what you are now driving. :thumbsup:

So many cars.... so little time. *sigh*

:lol:

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Nov 17 2003, 06:05 PM
I really don't know. I was under the impression you're only supposed to swap in motors that came from your year or later, other wise its deemed illegal.

I know that's not true. Do you know how hard it is to find a '99-'00 B16 DOHC motor? It's not that easy. And if you do, it will probably cost well over $3000 for motor only. Most insurance companies actually urge you to get an older motor for cost purposes.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Nov 17 2003, 06:06 PM
Well you have many years to get your more perfect car. You're still in college, right? I think that you're doing real good in what you are now driving.

I hate to say this, but I am selling my car. It will be listed in a month or less for sale. The exterior was detailed & photographed today. Later this week the interior & engine bay will be detailed & photographed. Then I just have to get it inspected & it'll be up for sale!

I can't believe I'm going outside the Honda family!!

Actually, any JDM swap is for "off road use only". I had a B18C in my old Si and I got the JDM one because NH doesn't test emmissions yet AND I knew that the inspection station would not be able to tell just by looking at it. It would have failed emmissions though.

I hate to say this, but I am selling my car.

Good idea... I don't think there is going to be an easy way out of this one. I have heard of people setting up dummy ecu's to trick the code readers, but I have no idea about how to set that up. Maybe do some research if you really don't want to give up your car.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Nov 17 2003, 06:38 PM
What car are you getting next?

If I tell, I want promises I'm not going to get bitched at or flamed!! :D

Originally posted by Stock91GT@Nov 17 2003, 06:58 PM
Maybe do some research if you really don't want to give up your car.

That's not why I'm selling my car. I just feel it's time for a change & my boyfriend wants to sell his car & get a truck, so I'd be getting a great car for a great price that I'd be super-happy with!

Well you have MY promise not to flame you for your choice. Hmmm... Pete now has a Mustang. Celia is looking at VW's. Chris has Mitsubishi Mirage. Clayton has his stable with a Toyota, a Honda, a Datsun & even a Jeep...

I think that you should be okay in here. :lol:

Ok then. I'm buying my boyfriend's '99 Eclipse GS-T. It's fully loaded with leather, sunroof, kick-ass sound, chrome wheels, projectors, and, of course, TURBO!!! It's got relatively low mileage (30K less than mine) & is pristine since my boyfriend is both a mechanic & detailer.

I've heard a lot of people say that they're unreliable, but usually it's because people don't take care of them. I know a stock turbo will be more reliable than an aftermarket turbo. And I love the transmission in his car. It's so smooth compared to my Civic.

I just think it's time for me to buy something that I can be happy with stock. If I do anything to it, it would be tint & wheels. Having 18s is ok, but it would be fun to have a car that can take 19s (if I decide to put wheels on it)! For me to be happy with my Civic, I would still have to get a turbo kit, install my LSD tranny, install a full coil-over system to lower it, & tune my Hondata for the turbo. That's a lot of time, money, & energy that I just don't have!

That Eclipse sounds like a good choice to me. Especially since you know it so well and your bf has taken such good care of it. It's also very smart to buy a used car over a new one. Post some pics of it when you get a chance! :)

a great choice, but they fall to crankwalk. derek knows much more about it than i do.... the 6 bolt engine is much more reliable. you know where you bought the car from and that helps, but crankwalk can go unnoticed for along time.

FWD turbo though.. good luck!! :D

welcome to the mitsubishi crew, get up and go.

Technically it will probably show up in their computer as an obd1 vehicle, most likely with whatever program you have in your ECU (which is probably a p72 program)... So if they are checking both o2 sensors, your screwed b/c obd1 only sees one. I don't know what they check for...

**from the MD state emissions website**
On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test
1996 or newer model year vehicles weighing less than 8,501 pounds and equipped with a computer controlled engine and fuel system
Instead of testing your vehicle’s exhaust, your emissions test will involve scanning your vehicle's computer for emission control malfunctions. During an on-board diagnostics scan, a lane inspector will connect to your vehicle's computer through a connector under the dashboard to determine the presence of recorded “trouble codes” that illuminate the “check engine” light on the instrument panel. Vehicles with an illuminated “check engine” light automatically fail the emissions test.

So apparently they are checking for hidden ECU codes in things like your charcoal canister, ETC... They probably look for the following codes:

1: primary o2 sensor
41: Primary heated o2 sensor
45: System too lean/rich
61: primary heated o2 sensor
63: secondary heated o2 sensor
65: secondary heated o2 sensor circuit
67: catalyst system efficiency
90: EVAP Emissions control leak
91: Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit

Now I know that codes 90 & 91 usually will not trigger a CEL, but will be stored in the "Hidden" memory... which can be seen by a GOOD scanner, but not by jumping the connectors...

Now some of the obd1 codes are different, some are the same... Their computer might see the obd2 connection, look for those codes, and since the ECU doesnt have those codes, it wont see them, and you'll pass... :)

Only one way to find out... :)

And if he fails you, beg and plead... ;)

i was about to write something up... but then she said to forget it, and that shes buying another car....

Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 17 2003, 06:37 PM
I hate to say this, but I am selling my car. It will be listed in a month or less for sale. The exterior was detailed & photographed today. Later this week the interior & engine bay will be detailed & photographed. Then I just have to get it inspected & it'll be up for sale!

B - Well she did say that she was going to be selling the car soon, but not until after the car needs to be inspected. Probably in part due to that fact that selling a car that can pass inspection is easier than one that can't. It's a hybrid. Hence the emissions and tint questions.

BTW... why does our quote feature sometimes NOT work?

Back