Emissions question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SasSi

Hopefully I've come to the right forum. If not, please don't kick my ass! :unsure:

For those that don't know, Maryland has changed the way they do emissions inspections. For all 96+ cars, they now ONLY do an on-board diagnostic test. They don't put your car on the treadmill, hook it up to a sniffer, or even check the gas cap anymore. My car is due for emissions by the 26th and I'm wondering if anyone knows what will happen with my situation. I swapped in a JDM B16 SiR2 engine (94-95 EG6 Civic) & I was going to run my stock ecu, but of course it had a CEL & ran like crap. So I put in the OBDI ecu that came with the motor & the car ran better & had no CEL.

Here's my question: If they try to hook up their scanner under my dash, it will probably come up with a CEL since it's trying to read OBDII, when mine is really OBDI. Has anyone here with a swap had to go through emissions yet & if so what happened? If anyone, regardless of going through emissions, has any input please give it to me. I don't want my car to fail!!

Thanks!

I have zero experience with emissions because I lived in Vermont and now central Oregon, both of which have no emissions laws. However, I can tell you that when they plug the OBDII scanner into your OBDI computer, they'll get a "cannot communicate with module" message and will not pass your car.

You have an OBDI engine in an OBDII car? Why?

if your harness has obd1 plugs, you can get a jumper that will plug into the ecu plugs in the passenger side kick panel that will convert your obd1 plugs to obd2 at locashracing.com, that way you can plug up an obd2 ecu, and everything should be wired right(by that i mean, nothing will be run to the wrong pin on the ecu).

if that don't work, i dont know what to tell you. move to texas (no emissions in most of texas)

also, rudeludenotmeanthough has plenty of emissions experience...ask him...lol

btw, you're hot as fuck. jus thought i'd let you know.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 17 2003, 06:46 PM
You have an OBDI engine in an OBDII car? Why?

Before I did the motor swap, I was running an OBDI ecu with my car because I was running Hondata & chipped P28 ecu. Then the motor swap I got was a JDM SiR-II, so it's OBDI. Like I said, at first I ran it with the stock Si OBDII ecu, but it ran like crap & had a CEL. So, I switched it to the P30 ecu that came with the motor swap & had no CEL. From what I understand, the CEL was caused by the fact that the ecu was trying to read the crank sensor, which my new motor doesn't have. The OBDI ecu doesn't read for the sensor, therefore no CEL. :D

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 17 2003, 06:58 PM
if your harness has obd1 plugs, you can get a jumper that will plug into the ecu plugs in the passenger side kick panel that will convert your obd1 plugs to obd2 at locashracing.com, that way you can plug up an obd2 ecu, and everything should be wired right(by that i mean, nothing will be run to the wrong pin on the ecu).

I already have that! See... my car is OBDII & I am running the conversion cable to my OBDI ecu.

my bad...the way i (mis)read it....

well i dont konw how the fuck i read it. looking back i cant figure out how i came up with that you'd hacked your wiring harness to obd1. dont know how the fuck i misread it. bah.

yeah, that makes sense that it would be the crank angle sensor...

other than the CEL, how does it run like shit? i.e. erratic idle, high idle, no idle....

if it doesnt run THAT bad, for emissions you could just put in your obd2 ecu and pull out your CEL bulb, and then after you pass emissions pop the bulb back in and put your obd1 ecu in.

shit, no, that won't work if they run an obd test. damn....

best i can tell you is move to texas. specifically, lufkin texas.

no emissions here. shit, local muffler shops pretty much pass your car no matter what for 12.50, and will install straight pipe the same day.

sorry i couldnt be of any help

I can't think of any clever ways to get around the obvious. The obdII coputer needs to see more than a crank sensor: downstream O2 sensor, functional evap purge valve, ect... I would think it in your best intrest to find a obdII ecu and possibly weld in the second 02 sensor, since it sounds like you don't want to move just to avoid emissions. Also obdII was not manditory on Imports untill 96 so possibly you could check with the local emissions station to see how your car will be tested. Last but not best, try and get the car registered out of state (PO box, relitive, ect..???) Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more

Originally posted by EGVortechGSR@Nov 17 2003, 09:49 PM
I can't think of any clever ways to get around the obvious. The obdII coputer needs to see more than a crank sensor: downstream O2 sensor, functional evap purge valve, ect... I would think it in your best intrest to find a obdII ecu and possibly weld in the second 02 sensor, since it sounds like you don't want to move just to avoid emissions. Also obdII was not manditory on Imports untill 96 so possibly you could check with the local emissions station to see how your car will be tested. Last but not best, try and get the car registered out of state (PO box, relitive, ect..???) Good luck, sorry I couldn't help more

1. it doensn't need to see an evap purge sensor. i took all that evap purge bullshit off and it ran fine, much less throw a cel.

2. her car was obd2 stock. therefore they'll test it as obd2. it's illegal to put an ecu in your car that's older than the car.

3. if she registered it out of state, what good would that do? shed still more than likely have to get emissions. also, that would fuck a lot of stuff up if she got it registered in a state that she didnt live in.

:newbie:

His statement was completely rational, and well thought if I might add. That statement you just gave was unnecessary.

You could maybe register it in a different county, I've done this before, like one county up north out in the boonies doesn't call for emissions because no one lives there and all we did was get a pobox up there, and in WA the emissions laws change from county to county so this might help.

1.)It's possible she doesn't throw a CEL ,or have a rough ruff engine with the evap valve disconnected, but the evap system is an emission control device that keeps hydrocarbons from entering atmosphere and if they are doing a test with the scan tool that will notice that valve doesn't operate properly then she's fucked.

2.)No shit her car was obdII stock or else we wouln't be having this wonderful time giving advice. I think it would be a wise idea to call and see what the test is goin to consist of, and see if all this stress is even necsicery.Who said anything about an older ecu?

3.)I relize that registering out of state would not be the best choice, thats why i said "last but not best". Also I would also like to meet the moron who registers his/her car out of town ,to avoid emissions, in a town with emissions.

Now a personal note: just because the little word under my name sez noob, doesn't mean that i'm a moron. It means i've got better things to do then sit around posting on the web. Like get more ASE certifications, or break 13's, If you would like to call me noob to my face i'll give you directions. Have a nice day

my bad....

Also obdII was not manditory on Imports untill 96 so possibly you could check with the local emissions station to see how your car will be tested

i thoght maybe you were thinkin that her car was a pre-96, (or obd1), so they'd test it as an obd1. since her car is an obd2 thogh, they'd have to test it as an obd2.

sorry bout that

This is a forgivable offence but still no reason to be an dick. I appoligize to all who had to read my above personal note, being that it did stray off the topic and posibly reflect personal opinions.

Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 17 2003, 05:41 PM
Hopefully I've come to the right forum. If not, please don't kick my ass! :unsure:

For those that don't know, Maryland has changed the way they do emissions inspections. For all 96+ cars, they now ONLY do an on-board diagnostic test. They don't put your car on the treadmill, hook it up to a sniffer, or even check the gas cap anymore. My car is due for emissions by the 26th and I'm wondering if anyone knows what will happen with my situation. I swapped in a JDM B16 SiR2 engine (94-95 EG6 Civic) & I was going to run my stock ecu, but of course it had a CEL & ran like crap. So I put in the OBDI ecu that came with the motor & the car ran better & had no CEL.

Here's my question: If they try to hook up their scanner under my dash, it will probably come up with a CEL since it's trying to read OBDII, when mine is really OBDI. Has anyone here with a swap had to go through emissions yet & if so what happened? If anyone, regardless of going through emissions, has any input please give it to me. I don't want my car to fail!!

Thanks!

Your car will fail, best thing you can do is introduce the guy at the smog check to Benjamine Franklin to make it "pass".

Your screwed that is why you never put a obd1 motor in a obdII car. The only thing I suggest is to use your mad sex appeal to get somebody to pass it for you. :D

Back