Emissions :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
Ok, so before I can start working on my car, I have to pass emissions. Problem is, I'm throwing a code..

O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I know what this means. I just have no friggin idea how to fix it. Ive tried checking the wiring, clearing the codes, replacing with an o2 sensor. But is it anything wrong with the sensor itself? Or is it the wiring or something I dont know about? I dont want to go spend 85$ on a new sensor and then still be throwing codes.

Also, when I clear the codes, the CEL only turns off for maybe 10 seconds.
EDIT:
This is a 96 hatch with an obd2 LS swap, obd2 P75 MT ecu.

Last edited:
Sensor 2 is the sensor that makes sure that the catylitic converter is doing its job. Maybe the cat has stopped working well enough.

Hmm. Good to know. It has a vibrant performance high flow cat on it. Could this be causing the car to throw a code? And if it were throwing a code because of this, would it be the code I listed above?

Idk if that is the code for a faulty cat, but I do know that high flow cats tend to suck at doing their job. I had a magnaflow cat, and within a year, I was getting a cel for the 2nd 02 sensor. I borrowed a factory cat for the emissions test and it cleared the cel.

Alright, well thanks for the info. The sensor is really old, like 180,000 miles so I think I'm going to replace that first. If that doesnt work I'll go down to a scrapyard and pick up a cheap cat or something. Only problem is that it is welded in there lol.

Ok, so I replaced the fukn o2 sensor again. Still nothing. Im starting to get realy pissed. Wiring is good from what I know, what the hell else could this be? Does this have to be the cat or something in the exhaust?

Someone has to have some idea.. help please?

Well.. I said fuck it and bought a new cat. Magnaflow this time, so hopefully it wont shit out on me so fast.

Last edited:
Back