employment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

objective: to earn money to fund my personal project of creating a "Dooms Day Device"

Yea that would be pretty cool, too bad I know nothing about planes. I'm actually seriously considering the military, I may drop by the recruiting office today.
If you're gonna do it, be smart and go by the Air Force recruiter, at least they will take care of you. And remember, all recruiters are worse than the shadiest used car salesman you've ever seen.

find a discount tire by you. they start at $10 an hour at least out here they do..? But either way workin in tire shops or lube shops is a decent way to make okay money. I worked at jiffy lube makin $7.50 then got the job at Discount makin $10.00 got a riaise after 3 months to $10.75 got laid off then got a job at a grease monkey making $8.00 and after 90 days $8.25 til the manager got in my face and I got fired. you just have to know where to look for any jobs. besides if you can't do an oil change you shouldn't be on this site.

If you're gonna do it, be smart and go by the Air Force recruiter, at least they will take care of you. And remember, all recruiters are worse than the shadiest used car salesman you've ever seen.

lol yea I guess I can see where that would be true. Anyways, wish me luck guys I'm heading out now.

If you can put up with some BS for a few years the military is not bad. At one point i was a pot smoking, long haired, hippe, card carrying communist and they let me in.

Don´t join the reserves though. For one thing there is no such thing, everyone is active right now. I did six years in the Army Guard. Do it full time or not at all. Just trust me on this.

Course when i joined the navy i was 28, had a crappy job, a crappier car, no wife, no kid, no cash, and was living with mom. Oh and i was laying on my back in a jail cell for the night. Easy choice in that position...

Don´t join the reserves though. For one thing there is no such thing, everyone is active right now. I did six years in the Army Guard. Do it full time or not at all. Just trust me on this.
+1 on the reserves. That's what I did and its a fucking joke. You dont get SHIT for benefits like the school money they say you get. I jumped through tons of hoops for the fucking VA to give me my school money and I have NEVER been payed for full time school even though I have been taking 12-14 units per semester and been on a specific degree path.

Also, with the reserves, you gotta be careful. I got hurt in training and they won't touch me, tell me that its my problem, and that I have to see my own doctor, even though they know I don't have med insurance. They even tell me that I still have to run my PFT (fitness test) even though they know that I have serious problems with my hip and knee, and sometimes have a hard time walking if i do any high impact exercise. Basically you are just another body to them. They will use the shit out of you, then when you are no good anymore they will use you a little more, then throw you away.

My advice would be to avoid the military right now. If you want to serve a cause, there's plenty of other ways of doing it without that, and many more are more noble than fighting a war, whatever the reasons for that war may be.

A fairly small percentage of the military is actively engaged in combat, props to them for it as well. A much larger percentage is not. What they get you with is something called Individual Augmentation.

Basically they call you up where you are at and say you are going to X, Iraq, Afgan, Cuba, Djbout, etc. Your ass goes off to training and then see ya later. They can hit you with it at any time at any rank. A guy on my boat made Master Chief and they sent his ass straight over there.

Find yourself a nice DDG or CG and life is good. Carriers and Amphibs = no liberty, constant deployment. I don´t like planes much and the sub fleet, well lets just not talk about them. Nuclear power is not made on board by reactors, the brass just collectively squeezes their assholes until they make power...

And if anyone offers you a striker program tell them they are high; go in with the job you want on paper or not at all.

And you are totally right about medicine in the Guard...

I started working at Caterpillar; not making much($10/hr starting) but it's a pretty relaxed job. Just follow the rules and you won't get fired(which are pretty much safety rules). I'm still temp, but we get a $0.50 raise every 6 months. Not sure about permanent workers but hey, they love their job.

If you like working hard, part time, UPS is decent. They have excellent benefits for a part time worker; but bad part is it's part-time. The ethics and management there also suck.

Last edited:
that objective sucks. lol i stopped reading and threw it out

haha, yep

Yes, thats the weak, weak part. I don't have shit to say for an objective. I want to just leave out the objective from now on, think thats okay? its a really unnecessary part

you don't need an objective. i am always dealing with high end financial companies and i don't have one. just put whatever is most relevant at the top. my degree is garbage, so i put my licenses on top. if you have a lot of work, put that up top. an objective is old school. take off the activities, and make it only 1 page. most places read qualifications and work experience. they don't give a shit if you won a nobel prize if you don't have any experience or work ethic.

Yea that would be pretty cool, too bad I know nothing about planes. I'm actually seriously considering the military, I may drop by the recruiting office today.

only go in the military as a last resort. i went because i was a dumbass and thought i couldn't pay for college on my own. 4 years later and i'm trying to play catch up to where i could have been if i was working somewhere.

god, i was in the air force. it's the only "legit" branch. what are you going to do being a ground pounder for 4 or 6 years? clayton, silverchild, and i all worked on aircraft and we can get a 60k+ job if thats what we wanted to do.

+My advice would be to avoid the military right now. If you want to serve a cause, there's plenty of other ways of doing it without that, and many more are more noble than fighting a war, whatever the reasons for that war may be.
pretty much. there are only a couple reasons to go in the military.

1) you're a fucking retard and can't do anything else.
2) to pay for college (but it is a pain for them to pay and they only pay monthly and not up front. you don't have time while you are actually in. unless you are an office bitch that is. you can pay for college with grants, scholarships and loans. there is a shit-ton of free money available)
3) you are in legal trouble and need to get away. (then you get in trouble elsewhere.)
4) you want to travel. (read: go to iraq.)
5) you want to learn a trade. the only legit reason. learn mechanics, computers, or construction.

pretty much. there are only a couple reasons to go in the military.
4) you want to travel. (read: go to iraq.)
5) you want to learn a trade. the only legit reason. learn mechanics, computers, or construction.
and those are the 2 most appealing reasons to me about the military, I was born and raised 10 minutes from where I live now and I haven't really been outside of the area and would love to get out, and as I'm sure you guys have heard me gripe about before I'd love to learn a profession (find my skill if I may)

well I got 3 applications, one from a bmw/mercedes dealership, oe from a honda dealership, and one from a toyota/lexus dealership. The Bmw and toyota places seemed pretty desperate for detailors so I'm going to fill these sob's out and take them back first thing monday morning and talk with one of the guys up top at each place and try to get something rolling.

honostly guy,
if your probably used to living in your car, fucking take off if you wanna be somewhere else.
take what money you have and go live somewhere you think you may like.
ive done it. had $400 in my pocket and a taste for something different.
so i moved to florida.

go somewhere that you already know somebody and camp out til you get a job and can get an apartment.
it was irrational, unplanned, and i dont regret any of it.

im back to the exact place that i started, im living back at home, wishing that i was in florida, but its just not the right time.
i made some really great friends there, and lost some others,
and i wouldnt change it one bit.

if you're ready to live somewhere, and you really dont have anything to gain by staying where you are, nor have anything to loose by leaving, then go.
it may not end up like you wanted, and you have to go back home, but at least you did it.

thats just my .02

yea it makes sense, the only thing that keeps me tied to this place is that my gf is going to college here. If it wasn't for that I'd been gone a long time ago. I've got about $250 in my pocket and thats really all I have at the moment, another reason I haven't hit the road is that my car isn't very reliable at the moment. I need to replace the radiator, get it alligned, replace the fuel pump, and get new back brakes for it before I would call it "safe" and with what little bit of money I do have I know that all that would do more then eat it all up and I'm in no big hurry to dish it out with none to replace it.

well fuck son.
excuses.
lol

go work at one of the dealerships then.
when you either break up with the gf or she graduates, transfer to another one.

dont go to miami though, your car will disapear while your driving it.
lol.

well your fairly close you could always give me your ride and then I could travel out for a bit :p
But trust me theirs nothing you could say about moving out of the area that I haven't already thought about, things are just going to shit right now and I have to figure out a way to turn things around

+1 on the relocation thing. Its a great feeling to know that you can pick up and go somewhere with shit for money in your pocket. I did it when i was 17, straight outta high school. Moved about 320 miles from my small town to San Diego. I had $600 in my pocket and that was gone within the first week and a half living in a motel till my apt was ready. Any time I think i'm down on luck, with no cash, I remember all the times I was in that position and how I pulled through somehow.

I know you said you have ties to your area, but you may want to weigh out those things with the fact that you are unhappy. You may be willing to compromise the situation some to be with your gf, but if you are seriously unhappy where you are at, then it ain't gettin any better till you make a change.

This isn't directed straight at you, more of a general comment, but I really don't get how people who say that they want to work have such a hard time. If you do really want to work and need the money, then don't be picky about where you will work. I guess not everyone has the attitude that, if shits gotta get done, then it's gotta get done, no matter what. I have always somewhat had that mentality, but the Marine corps definitely instilled that in me more.

If I were in your situation, I would seriously start within walking distance to your house. Find a job nearby, work it for a few weeks, months, whatever, till you get a couple paychecks. Fix your ride, then look for a new better job, bounce on the shitty one once you secure a better position. Just keep doing that. Yea, your resume/application may show you bounced around a little, but you need to be loyal to yourself, not some shitty ass job, and move on when there is a better opportunity.

seriously, why dont you walk up to construction sites, or anywhere else like that, just ask if they got any bitch work for you to earn some cash. Like I said earlier, post up an ad on Craigslist under services offered and list what you are capable of/willing to do.

Last edited:
Back