engagement ring or new car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If she's the one she'll be happy w/ whatever ring u get her now or wait for u till u can get her the ring she wants. My girl was happy to wait till, I got my 55 inch LCD tv for the living room, my all leather sectional w/ all recliners and the dining room set that she wanted before I bought her her engagement ring, of course together the tv, couch & dining set only ran a lil over 4k and only took me 2 months to get so she didn't really have to wait long. Her ring only cost a lil over 800 for a half karat, I think it's too small but she loves it and says even that is too big

That's up to you. If you want to take things to the next step then do it. if not, do whatever you want.

Just keep in mind, if you get off spending 1500 for a ring set then you've got it good DO IT NOW before she starts to look on her own and start seeing whats out there. My problem is Linh knows jewelry so I was screwed. The wedding band alone was over 1500 =(
You got married? I missed that one.. lol. I got screwed too, wedding band cost the same as you. Not going to say what the engagement ring cost. :(

its up to you bro but here are the 2 ?s i have, how much do you love her? if it is that much then why are u asking car or ring get the ring if she is ur all... If you love her but ur not sure it is moe than life itself then my question is How bomb is she? is she is that bomb then u better wifer her up b4 some1 else does

That's up to you. If you want to take things to the next step then do it. if not, do whatever you want.

Just keep in mind, if you get off spending 1500 for a ring set then you've got it good DO IT NOW before she starts to look on her own and start seeing whats out there. My problem is Linh knows jewelry so I was screwed. The wedding band alone was over 1500 =(

Good point. Mine was $3700...cheap comparatively

It should be a one time buy, if you're thinking twice about it not being a one time buy then that's a bad sign. =)

Just keep in mind how much you're willing to spend on random toys and how bad of in investment they are, most car parts are maybe 20-30c on the dollar. Rings/Diamonds will go hold solid or go up, just make sure its a legit ring and has all its papers. Just dont pawn it.

haven't you ever wanted to buy 2 things at the same time? We all have...I personally think she's pretty damn good lookin, there may or may not be a pic or 2 of her in the girlfriend thread if you care enough to look.

It should be a one time buy, if you're thinking twice about it not being a one time buy then that's a bad sign. =)

Just keep in mind how much you're willing to spend on random toys and how bad of in investment they are, most car parts are maybe 20-30c on the dollar. Rings/Diamonds will go hold solid or go up, just make sure its a legit ring and has all its papers. Just dont pawn it.

Word

Don't skimp on the ring - get her what she wants/deserves. If you do it right the first time you will save yourself the dreaded upgrade ring later on. I can't even tell you how many buddies have had to upgrade later on because they didn't spend the time or cash to do it right the first time.

Word

Don't skimp on the ring - get her what she wants/deserves. If you do it right the first time you will save yourself the dreaded upgrade ring later on. I can't even tell you how many buddies have had to upgrade later on because they didn't spend the time or cash to do it right the first time.

the more I think about it the more I think this way as well...

i don't buy into the whole upgrade ring thing. I think it's BS. If it was good enough when you were young and poor (using that as an example), it should be good enough forever.

The sole reason women want a huge diamond is so they can show it off or say I have an X carat ring.

when I say I "we" bought a house I mean I bought a house and she lives in it...she helps out with utilities though.
:thumbsup:

The sole reason women want a huge diamond is so they can show it off or say I have an X carat ring.
lol, no shit
same reason we want the expensive rims, or turbo setup on our cars
she worked hard for that ring, she wants to have some pride in it

Last edited:
thats totally true. tell a girl a budget, then have her start looking at rings. 99.999999% will be more expensive than she thinks they are. buy it before they know how much they cost. but $3000 will buy a decent ring. if you haven't looked at rings before, which it sounds like you haven't, you will be disappointed with what you can get.

heres a tip. go look at rings now. pick out the one you think she deserves. then get the money to buy it right. don't worry about price, be patient. she's not going anywhere. get her a ring YOU can be proud of. she'll be happy with whatever. you just need to feel ok with it. when i was looking at rings, the ones i liked for the wife came in around $6000-$8000 dollars. and that was at costco. lol they have killer deals there. same diamond standards as tiffany, 1/2 the cost.

I think it's too small but she loves it and says even that is too big
said by billions of men and women around the world. only 1/2 are honest and correct. ^_^

You got married? I missed that one.. lol. I got screwed too, wedding band cost the same as you. Not going to say what the engagement ring cost. :(
it wasn't really said. just a random picture thread of a vacation/honeymoon

i don't buy into the whole upgrade ring thing. I think it's BS. If it was good enough when you were young and poor (using that as an example), it should be good enough forever.

thats what poor people say. lol. i have to disagree with the second part though, not all girls don't just want it so they can show it off. if a woman has humble roots, odds are she has humble friends. although it happens, most women aren't as concerned about comparing as men are.

I never said the upgrade was for a bigger diamond. When I went shopping I had x amount of dollars and got the best ring for the price. The upgrade thing I was talking about was the guys that settle for the first ring they see that cost less than their bar tab that month so they can make their girl happy. While it is true that she should love you no matter what the ring - what is wrong with taking the time and spending the time to do it right?

By the way my wife has neither asked or know what size her ring is. All she knows is that she gets compliments on how beautiful it looks (especially after a cleaning).

Last edited:
i paid $1500 for mine.. original price was $3700 .. i'm pretty sure they just mark them up and say they're on sale.. but she loves it.. she picked it out not knowing i was gonna buy it 2 days later.. so i know my woman is happy w/ her $1500 ring.. she even told me it was too much.. lucky me i guess

**edit**
i attached a pic of it..

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Yeah definitely you want to shop around. Make sure you get a stone that is certified and comes with the papers to prove it.

Another alternative is to buy a stone first and then have it set after the fact. You'll probably be able to get more stone for your money that way.

By the way my wife has neither asked or know what size her ring is. All she knows is that she gets compliments on how beautiful it looks (especially after a cleaning).

speaking of cleaning, mine needs to take hers in to have it cleaned and inspected so the warranty is stays valid

speaking of cleaning, mine needs to take hers in to have it cleaned and inspected so the warranty is stays valid

Did you go to Jared? That sounds like their warrenty. I also went the pick out the stone then the setting route. I found it easier because you have more control and get more for you money. What ever you do make sure it is appraised and have insurance on it before you pick it up from the store. I think the insurance on my wife's ring is like 3.50 a month and covers replacement cost which is more than the 5,000.00 I spent on the ring.

i got it at Kevin's.. i'm sure most jewelry stores have a similar warranty .. i have to take it in every 3 months

the best deal you can get would be to buy the band local. they will all cost the same, then get the stone from blue nile.

but costco is still a great option for shopping and looking at stuff.

Back