Engine acting up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
So I'm driving back from the detroit auto show and we just get back into Indiana and as I was going around some trucks I passed my exit for gas so I had to go 10 miles down the road to the next station (You know, since B was fully aware of the exit I passed being the one I needed to go to, but ddin't say a damn thing)

Anyway, as I'm rollin down the offramp I put in the clutch and pop it out of gear and the damn car is STILL IDLING at 4500 rpm! wtf? Sure I had 300 miles on the tank and my gas light is on, but when I filled up I put 10.7xx gallons in my 13.2 gallon tank...meaning I had 2.5 gallons left...

My question is was it because of the gas or something? going into limp mode so it wouldn't stall? Or was it cause my throttle body was stuck open somehow? It did it until I got into the gas station by the pump and let it sit for a little bit with the parking brake on, finally it dropped down to normal rpm and i shut the car off.

what the fuck did it do that for? I've never seen a car do that.

btw...I got 28.xxx mpg on that tank doing between 70-90 to and from Detroit. :worthy:

Sounds to me like your throttle body might be sticking, or you had some sort of sediment in your tank cause your injectors to stick open

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jan 17 2004, 12:42 PM
btw...I got 28.xxx mpg on that tank doing between 70-90 to and from Detroit. :worthy:

sounds like your car thought that you were gettin too good of gas mileage, and wasn't happy about it....

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Jan 17 2004, 09:56 PM
sure...blame me for YOU passing tractor trailers where the exit ramps turned off <_<

:roll: if you saw the fuckin exit, then you shoulda said somethin instead of sittin there with your thumb up yo ass. :lol:

I didn't see the sign and I thought the exit was after the I90 toll road, not before. <_<

I didn't think that limp mode would do that. It sounds like either something was stuck, or you were somehow starved for fuel and ran extremely lean for a minute. Weird. I'd like to know if you find out what it was. :blink:

Limp mode won't do that. Check your throttle cable for binding. I've seen this a couple of times, once was on a really old (can't remember) but there was rust in the cable sheath. Another is just a frayed cable and the splinters decided to hold onto the inside on the sheath. Disconect it and have someone operate the pedal to watch/feel for binding. Fast idle valve going south can shoot up the idle but it is a surge and usually stops before 4000 rpm. A stuck butterfly is usually only good for an extra 1000 rpm of idle at most. Let us know what you come up with.

you only got 28 mpg highway? i get 30 mpg city!! :owned: hahahah!!! jfwy man.. they basically covered everything i had in mind so good luck!!

Originally posted by 90 accord@Jan 19 2004, 12:20 AM
you only got 28 mpg highway? i get 30 mpg city!! :owned: hahahah!!! jfwy man.. they basically covered everything i had in mind so good luck!!

You get 30 mpg doing 70-90 for 2 and a half hours with about a half hour of inner city driving? <_< Keep in mind I have an Si Tranny, 4500 rpm in 5th gear around 90 mph...

:worthy:

run a can of injector cleaner.
check your floor mats.. the throttle might've got stuck on it.
apply some mild gease to your throttle cable

lather, repeat if desired.

if something was wrong, it would've most likely thrown a code for doing that

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Jan 19 2004, 02:49 AM
doesnt the light come on when you have 2 gallons left?

i think it does

yes. I generally fill up when the light comes on and goes off. It's around 10.xx gallons when it first comes on and fades off, etc.

Back