engine bogging problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok so this has been bothering me for awhile now and i haven't found any answers yet so i figure i might as well ask and see if anyone can help, bear with me if this gets a little long. i recently instaled a obd2 h22a4 from a base model 97 prelude in my 96 accord ex and am running a obd2 p72. the problem is that it seems to have little to no low end power, like the motor boggs severly at low rpms, and i don't know why. the car idles fine and opens up nicely at high rpms with no check engine lights. when i did this swap i was going from an obd1 h22a to an obd2 usdm h22a4, can the the jdm version be that much better? i have heard that the h22 runs a little lean on a p72 but i have a crapy autometer air/fuel gage and it doesn't seem to run lean but it does run leaner than it did with the obd1 p13. i converted everything back over to obd2 including the distributor except the injectors. the reason i didn't use the obd2 injectors was that my car originaly came with peak and hold injectors and was wired with a resistor box as was the obd1 h22a, so i figured as long as i kept the resistor box i could run the obd1 injectors, could this be my problem? any help would be apreciated, it sucks getting pulled on by cars i used to be able to smoke!!!

to advance the ignition timing you are supposed to turn the distributor right? well on the obd2 distibutor it is not adjustable because there is no adjustment on the bottom bolt. it can only go in in one spot, and if you take it out and turn it, it doesn't do anything.

that doesnt make any since....the dizzy has to be able to be adjusted to advance or retard timing...the legs of the dizzy have gaps....just loosen all three bolts and rotate it...

that is what i thought to but on the 97 distributor the botom leg doesn't have any adjustment and if you take it out and loosen the others, when you turn it it doesn't do anything.

On older Accords, you must jump the service connector to adjust the timing. Otherwise, the ECU readjusts the timing back. I don't know how this plays out on OBD 2 cars. Sorry. :(

Honda probably has a tool that they plug into your OBD 2 port.

You dont change the timing on obd2, the ecu runs all of that.

ya i don't think it is the timing because it seems to be fine and like h22adelsol said the ecu controls that. do you thing it could be the injectors or the fact that i am running a p72 and it need that much more fuel?

The P72 probably wouldn't give the engine all the fuel it needs. That's not a bad ECU to have though. The P13 won't accept Hondata. So if I were you, I'd spring for the Hondata. If you can't afford Hondata, then search for a JDM P13. Even the P14(H23 ECU) doesn't match the H22's fuel needs.

Good luck :)

get an Aem regulator and bump up fuel pressure.....we did it to civic on dyno and fixed its bogging.

ya i got a fuel pressure regulator and increased the pressure, it seemed to help but it didn't fix it completely. i don't want to turn it up any more so maybe i should look into hondata or a vafc i would like ot go with hondata but i didn't think that they work with obd2 setups.

check your fuel injectors---in the top of them(part thats in the rail) have little screens. try cleaning them out with some carb and choke cleaner. what PSI did you bump the fuel pressure to?
get a vafc and go to the dyno and get it worked out. they should fix it when they tune it.(or be able to determine what it is, like if it is a fuel problem they'll see it on the air/fuel meter)

ya i knew turning it up to much couldn't be good thats why i didn't go any higher, but it did help sum when i turned it up. i dont think the injectors are clogged because they where running good on my old setup.

Back