Engine Braking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

everything causes wear...

cheaper and easier to replace brakes than clutch, and engine braking = the engine fighting against itself..

remember the only thing holding your honda motor from Mr. Piston meeting mr valve is a belt...

:yes:

Nothing bad though as long as you don't overrev your engine. You can choose to either use the engine or the brakes- it's up to you. Brake rotors and pads are meant to be replaced- pistons, rings and clutches are a bit harder. You make the decision.

i have been engine breaking forever. heavy trucks do it, and never have issues. Ive done it and gone threw 1 clutch i 2 years

:werd:

I don't worry about it either. He was asking about wear on the engine and transmission though, and if it really matters to him- he should just use the brakes like he's supposed to. :)

no doubt engines can handle it, but why put the extra strain on the drivetrain when not necessary?

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 7 2004, 03:22 PM
:yes:

Nothing bad though as long as you don't overrev your engine. You can choose to either use the engine or the brakes- it's up to you. Brake rotors and pads are meant to be replaced- pistons, rings and clutches are a bit harder. You make the decision.
[post=427788]Quoted post[/post]​

not to mention the valve springs and retainers, I've heard engine braking a lot over time will cause valve float.

Really, when you brake, you have better breaking if you don't engage the clutch until your getting pretty slow.

In the winter, engine braking is the only way to go done decent size hill up here. Just leave it in first, and coast all the way down, and right at the bottom where there is a slight flat spot, put your brakes on.

Also, in extreme emergencys, I have heard of people having total brake failure on a road course and coming from a full straight to a hard right. They did a slight brake tap in the middle of the turn to see if they were there and they just fell to the floor. He just started down shifting and reved the hell out of the car, way over red line. Quickly he started to slow down and had enough to avoid the wall at the end of the run off.

Back