Engine break in period?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jim

I bought a 2004 Civic EX Automatic last week, my first ever brand new car. Admittedly, I'm very lacking in car engine knowledge, and I was unaware of the "breakin period" until I came across it in the manual today. I already went about 300 miles, and though I'm pretty gentle in general, I've definitely revved to 3500/4500rpm more than a few times, though I haven't floored it or done any hard braking. What kind of problems could this cause? I've been reading things that say the breakin period is definitely important, and some that say it's completely unnecessary.

best breakin method is actually to romp on it

there is a thread about it on here somewhere .... do a search

Thanks for the response. I did a search, didn't come up with anything too relevant. Also, I'm not looking to race this car or anything, it's only for normal driving, but I was concerned (because of some things I've read) that I may have done it a disservice by not babying it on the first few hundred miles...

1.WARM UP THE ENGINE
2.Push the limits (beat, romp, stomp, floor, make it try to go fast.)
3.Do not baby it
4.Change the oil frequently.

:withstupid:

You want to drive it hard so that you form a good seal between the piston rings and the cylinder walls . If you don't, your car will run poorly as long as you have the stock piston rings. Just make sure your car is warmed up before you drive it hard, otherwise you will destroy your engine.

-Kai

Whomp on it... the break in period was really more for carb cars...

Automatic huh?? Thats too bad.

Go ahead and beat on it, but make sure the engine is warmed up.

The majority of engine damage is done while the engine is cold.

Back