engine build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mr_servon_20

:ph34r: I just brought a 95 civic that has 152,115 miles on the engine. I wanted to put a trubo on the car. But help me out so I can get the most out of this enginge....

I'd personally either a) build up the motor, new pistons, forged rods, have the block checked for cracks, checking all the clearances, etc ..or.. B ) swap a dohc b series in first... but that'd be a bad thing as far as CR for turbocharging.

I wouldn't want to spend 3 grand on a turbo kit only to pop the engine.

:ph34r: So you are saying swap my stock engine with and Dohc. Like a B16 or a B18 engine? I'm new to this import car thing.
Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 16 2004, 10:19 PM
I'd personally either a) build up the motor, new pistons, forged rods, have the block checked for cracks, checking all the clearances, etc ..or.. B ) swap a dohc b series in first... but that'd be a bad thing as far as CR for turbocharging.

I wouldn't want to spend 3 grand on a turbo kit only to pop the engine.
[post=433447]Quoted post[/post]​

The b series stuff is a lot beefier. I just swaped in a b16 and was amazed to see the difference in the components. The drive shafts are much better and the equal length shafts with the use of the intermediate shaft eliminate torque steer. No use in making power if you can't get it to the ground.

Originally posted by mr_servon_20@Dec 16 2004, 07:09 PM
:ph34r: I just brought a 95 civic that has 152,115 miles on the engine. I wanted to put a trubo on the car. But help me out so I can get the most out of this enginge....
[post=433445]Quoted post[/post]​

what kind of power are you looking for? if you're looking for just a little more pep for your sohc. do a junkyard turbo setup. you can put one together for easily under a grand. the good thing about a turbo D - when or if it does pop, you can replace it for a few hundred bones. with a B its going to cost you.

also, i dont want anyone to get me wrong and think im hating on B motors, because im not. if i had the money id be rocking a B right now, but since i dont, ill continue to rock the D and if i blow one, ill actually have the money to replace it and not have to save for months on end.

id stick with the d turbo. my first turbo set up i pieces together for less than 1100 and i had an fmu smic turbo/mani bov pipes down pipe and a few lil things. never got to run it because i traded it for a b but for what i paid i would def go with the turbo d

Originally posted by PhyRe@Dec 17 2004, 06:22 AM
id stick with the d turbo. my first turbo set up i pieces together for less than 1100 and i had an fmu smic turbo/mani bov pipes down pipe and a few lil things. never got to run it because i traded it for a b but for what i paid i would def go with the turbo d
[post=433593]Quoted post[/post]​

ya junkyard turbo is teh way to go. im in the process of building mine. i already bought my turbo, smic, and injectors and i only have $150 into it so far.

Back